Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

Newbie question: S500 Performance Options?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2003, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
94 Wagon, 13 ML63
Question Newbie question: S500 Performance Options?

Hey ladies and gents,
I'm Barry Johnson, aka BJ and new to the MB ownership. I picked up a black on black '92 500SEL a few weeks ago, and since I'm a power hungry fiend, this car needs a little help. Definately love the car though! So, I'm sure you all have seen this innumerable times, but what performance parts/options are available for this car? I have no problem making them myself if not available (I have the only true dual exhaust for the Toyota Tundra, and it definately makes power!). I can't seem to find any real exhaust, computer, intake, or really anything but a shift mod for this car. Funny thing about that shift mod. The w140 uses the same transmission the Porsche 928 does (ZF 4 speed auto) and both have the 2nd gear start annoyance. In my 928 I installed a parallel kickdown switch, and that helped out a little, but still no first gear starts. I do have a spring kit for the valve body that will fix it though, not installed yet. But anyway, whats available, and Hello to you all!
Old 07-20-2003, 10:23 PM

94 Wagon, 13 ML63
Well I guess there are no aftermarket performance parts for the w140 500, so I'll just make my own... I'll let you know what I do when I do it.
Old 08-03-2003, 05:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you check out Berg Works they have this very innovative 1st gear performance option, its only $300 and you can select sport mod to start car off in first gear along with setting your redline, its very nifty. you should check it out.
Old 08-03-2003, 05:42 PM

94 Wagon, 13 ML63
Hey Omey,
Thanks for the tip. That was actually I think the first place I checked out when looking for parts for the car, so I'm familiar with the part. Pretty cool and I'm especially glad to see that they're developing one for the 928 too. I'll let ya know what I make when I do, won't be for a while though, got laid off