Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

exhaust and performance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 11:55 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 E420
exhaust and performance

Has anybody here had any experience with changing exhaust and gaining performance. The reason I ask is this. For the price of some of the euro-exhausts, I could replace the cats, mufflers, and run dual 2 1/2 " pipes . That would SEEM to be a better deal than putting an $800 muffler behind those puny factory pipes. Thoughts on that line of thinking? (i have a 97' E420)
Old 07-30-2003, 02:58 AM

94 Wagon, 13 ML63
Unless you're running (or going to be) 300+ horsepower, 2.5" pipes is a little bigger than you might want. If you're going to run close to 300, no prob, I just have no idea what the 420 puts out for power. Definatley go the route of custom exhaust. Those euro mufflers are really a waste of money when you can get a straight-through muffler like a magnaflow or dynaflow and spend 1/8th the cost. Go all the way though, maybe even custom headers! Put an X pipe up as close to the manifolds/headers as possible for good scavenging and better exhaust flow too. Please post results and pics if and when you do this!!
Old 07-30-2003, 09:45 AM
Almost a Member!

1997 E420
Thats my way of thinking. Heres the plan. A custom cold air kit, custom true duals with high flow cats (for Cali), a chip, and underdrive pullies. Should put me in the 325-335 HP area. Headers are another story. Not much room in there. My guy says maybe room for "shorty" style. He's measuring now. Gonna use 1 5/8 stainless for primary tubes and a 2.75" or 3" collector. could be sweet. Plus, if he gets it right, real easy to duplicate more.
Old 07-31-2003, 03:11 AM

94 Wagon, 13 ML63
Some block hugging headers would fit no prob. AND if you can get him to put some header wrap on there for heat reasons, that would be pretty sweet too. Make sure when you do the cold air kit, you get it as close to cold air as possible without sucking in hot air from the radiator, and that the piping and filter is large enough. Also, do you know if the difference between the 420 and 500 engine is just the cylinder bore? If so...headers would be the same application...mass produce...you know where I'm going with this . If so, email me privately and send a set up to me . And don't forget to do the X crossover as close to the headers as possible, assuming your guy doesn't go creative on you and make you an awesome set of 180 degree crossover scavenger headers, which would be amAZING, and I'd want a set for sure. Keep us updated!
Old 07-31-2003, 07:50 PM
Almost a Member!

1997 E420
just for interest

Yeah, this guy is the MAN. He built a full roller 397 Cleveland stroker and STAINLESS 180 headers for me for a Pantera. 539 HP at the rear wheels on 9.5 to 1 and premium unleaded!!!
Old 09-03-2003, 01:57 PM

Here is a set of 180 degree headers built by my friend Tom Cloutier for his Porsche 928. He has built some scavenging merge collectors that I will be installing on my LS400. Anyone interested in building a real performance system for your car would do very well to contact him. He even has his own dyno!

Tell him John Brady sent you.

http://www.thepowerbroker.net/

Last edited by JBrady; 09-03-2003 at 01:59 PM.
Old 09-04-2003, 04:29 AM

94 Wagon, 13 ML63
I can personally attest to Tom's skill. He is a friend of mine in the 928 group I'm a part of. Hes always tinkering and trying to find more power, and does a VERY good job at it. His exhaust is awesome.
Old 09-07-2003, 04:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what about header for a 300SE/ S320 6cyl, there is SOO much room to work with in the engine bay, is there anyway your guy could make a set of headers for that car?? anyways let me know. thanks
Old 09-07-2003, 04:53 AM

94 Wagon, 13 ML63
Originally posted by OmeyHomey
what about header for a 300SE/ S320 6cyl, there is SOO much room to work with in the engine bay, is there anyway your guy could make a set of headers for that car?? anyways let me know. thanks
Hey Homey,
I'll get in touch with him and forward on the request. If you can get a car to him to play with, I'm sure he can do it, but I'll ask.
Old 09-07-2003, 05:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Dual 5Ls
Hey Homey,
I'll get in touch with him and forward on the request. If you can get a car to him to play with, I'm sure he can do it, but I'll ask.
well he's probably not located anywhere near me. If he is then sure i can do that. but if not is there anyway he can just get a stock set and use that as a guide to make the headers? as long as both mounting points are the same then everything else he can play with. I literally have NOTHING on the exhaust header side of the motor, literally a good two feet of just empty space, so it should be rediculously easy. Please let me know. thanks and ttyl.