Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

Fuel economy and Comfort/Sport settings : CLS55 AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fast
Question Fuel economy and Comfort/Sport settings : CLS55 AMG

It just feels wrong to talk about fuel-economy on an AMG but here goes...

There are allready talk in news "When the price for fuel will hit the 2€ per LITRE" -mark and sadly its quite close when i just saw the prices.

While i love just about everything in the car, its really killing my wallet, in every way. 18.7L/100km was on the dash when just before i pulled the key out.

Theres plenty of typical shopping-trips and then some longer motorways with the occasional track-days in summer... And yes, theres winter too. I was VERY supriced how well the car behaves in slippery icy roads, my previous E420 was a total disaster to drive in the cold, the CLS just smoooothly moves where the E would spin in place and dig in.

While i love the engine being quite rev-happy, it does come at a cost, also im not the only one who drives it and "she" is yet to ficure out what most of the buttons do or like she said "why is the yellow thing flashing all the time?"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Enough with the story, to the point - "Comfort" and "Sport" settings.

Is it possible to "re-program" how these setting behave? Simple idea is:

Comfort: keep low revs, conserve fuel, smooth shifting and even limit the throttle. When kickdown is hit, smoother steady accelaration, no tire-shredding ESP-blinking growling at the rev-limit.
Good winter-tires cost a small fortune and i tend to get wheelspin when i simply touch the throttle, even in the non-icy parts and those eat the metal-studs fast.

Sport: As in "fun time" highten the idle-revs, fast shifting. Something for those track-days or when you want show whos boss.
For times when you just dont want to think about fuel-economy.

While the difference in the settings at first seem quite subtle, there is noticable differences and if these were "finetuned" along with minor "mechanical" mods maybe, one could change the whole behaviour of the car and maybe help with the fuel-economy.
If im not mistaken the 55 engine is quite a good base for even bigger upgrades.
While my future goal is only to break the magic 500hp mark, im more interested in changing the "feel" of the car instead of upping the horsepower.

Theres few tuning-shops nearby, some even quite renown from what i hear, but i'd like know if this is possible or not first. Seems like lot of people mod their 55's but i see very little notes about modding the software controlling everything.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
In my 04 E55 this is how it works already. In "comfort" mode the gear changes are mostly done even before 2,200 rpm and " Sport " the revs are light as in the needle seems be quick and not as tight in the former setting.

I've also noticed in "Sport" the gear changes happen around 3,200 rpm while driving even in a similar manner.

Chances are that it could be a result of me having an ECU tune ? not sure

You got a tune ?
Old 03-19-2013, 07:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fast
No tune of any kind.