Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

2002 S600 V12 5.8L without catalytic converters

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 S600 v12
Question 2002 S600 V12 5.8L without catalytic converters

On my S600 naturally aspirated V12. Can I take the catalytic converters out and tune up the computer for max performance?
Old 07-08-2013, 06:27 PM

Marko,
The answer is maybe.
First you may want to define your goals and define your budget.
The stock exhaust is not optimal so yes... you can improve that to gain "power". That said what is a gain? Peak power? Midrange power and response? Factory reliability with more power?

Removing catalysts is something only legal on a "race" car... not to be used on public highways. Finding a shop that will remove them AND replace them with parts that both work better and will not vibrate, resonate, crack or require additional maintenance is no easy task. I have not researched MB aftermarket companies for your specific vehicle but that would be the place to start to both get ideas, ask for customer feedback, confirm any dyno AND drivability gains AND expected costs.

Tuning a car can be fun but is often a disappointing and expensive experience.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:11 PM

2002 S600 v12
I would like to increase all across the band without sacrificing ride comfort, just looking for maybe 50 extra horses and a bit more fuel economy, not trying to go full out power, just better that what it is now, I can do the work myself 9cut and weld), just not familiar with the hi-tech computer settings that controls the car's ecu and the oxygen sensors feed back
thank you for your response