Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

Poor V8 Engine Response Linked to Ignition Timing?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2003, 05:27 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W210
Calibrating injectors is popular for domestic cars, with a number of shops advertising in the turbo magazines. I have not seen a shop that does these for Mercedes. Also since you're in the bay area, try this shop in Burlingame for installing new injectors. Ask for Zim.

Before changing injectors, I would try using a strong dose of FI cleaner.

Topline automobile
Old 12-23-2003, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1951 Caterpiller D6
Thanks. I heard good things about these guys.
Old 12-24-2003, 01:05 AM

AMG C43, 1999
The guys to send your injectors to are RC Engineering. They have been cleaning and matching injectors for a very long time. I used them when I was racing Superbikes.

Here is the link: http://www.rceng.com

Give them a try. They have something like a 2 day turnaround.

Jeff
Old 12-24-2003, 01:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1951 Caterpiller D6
Originally posted by speedybenz
The guys to send your injectors to are RC Engineering. They have been cleaning and matching injectors for a very long time. I used them when I was racing Superbikes.

Here is the link: http://www.rceng.com

Give them a try. They have something like a 2 day turnaround.

Jeff
Looks like these guys know there stuff!
Old 05-09-2017, 02:11 PM

1997 E420
Originally Posted by mb-mopar nut
I agree with lousy throttle response from MB's. I have an E420 and 190 16v, both have throttle responses taylored towards 80 year olds.
Having played with old Dodge muscle cars, I have learned a few things:
1. Total timing at wide open throttle is usually best around 32-35 degrees for V8's irregardless of make, fuel injection etc.
2. For maximum throttle response and better fuel economy, timing advances in the order of 20+ degrees over total timing usually work best.

Has anyone installed chips and found better throttle reponse at all ranges, I see Superchips, Jetchips, Upsolute and Powerchips make them for our vehicles.
Hello and good day, I know I commenting on a 14yr old thread and unlikely to get a reply but I have some issues with my 97 E420. Since you have the same car, I'm looking for your advice. I swapped the engine because the old one had a blown head gasket. Before I put the replacement engine in, I used my hands and twisted the reluctor ring clockwise (following my fathers poor advice) to see if the engine was "seized up". I then put the engine into the car, connected everything, fill up fluids yada yada, went to start the car but its idle ran extremely rough, but constant. If i tried to give it gas it would stumble over itself and shut off. This problem got worse. In efforts to start the car over and over, the starter ended up getting stuck in the on position (had to disconnect the battery to turn it off). So I bought a new starter and battery. Continued trying to start the car but it got worse to the point where after I turned the ignition on it would hold an extremely rough idle accompanied by a bunch of less than pleasant noises for no more that 5 seconds and shut off. I did some research and it seems I affected the ignition timing so severely that the car won't even idle. Im 20yrs old and not only interested in getting my car running but also knowing how German cars are engineered as a whole. I have OBDII Scanner with a prominent malfunction code that reads "P0335 Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Malfunction". Can you or anyone advise me on how to either fix this code or set the correct ignition timing on my car, or if thats not the problem, give me pointers on what to do based on the little information that I'm able to provide? I am a novice and would very much like to learn as much as I can about how to work on Mercedes, it's possible.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:06 PM

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
'99 C43, '88 560SL
Originally Posted by demario
Hello and good day, I know I commenting on a 14yr old thread and unlikely to get a reply but I have some issues with my 97 E420. Since you have the same car, I'm looking for your advice. I swapped the engine because the old one had a blown head gasket. Before I put the replacement engine in, I used my hands and twisted the reluctor ring clockwise (following my fathers poor advice) to see if the engine was "seized up". I then put the engine into the car, connected everything, fill up fluids yada yada, went to start the car but its idle ran extremely rough, but constant. If i tried to give it gas it would stumble over itself and shut off. This problem got worse. In efforts to start the car over and over, the starter ended up getting stuck in the on position (had to disconnect the battery to turn it off). So I bought a new starter and battery. Continued trying to start the car but it got worse to the point where after I turned the ignition on it would hold an extremely rough idle accompanied by a bunch of less than pleasant noises for no more that 5 seconds and shut off. I did some research and it seems I affected the ignition timing so severely that the car won't even idle. Im 20yrs old and not only interested in getting my car running but also knowing how German cars are engineered as a whole. I have OBDII Scanner with a prominent malfunction code that reads "P0335 Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Malfunction". Can you or anyone advise me on how to either fix this code or set the correct ignition timing on my car, or if thats not the problem, give me pointers on what to do based on the little information that I'm able to provide? I am a novice and would very much like to learn as much as I can about how to work on Mercedes, it's possible.
Id honestly get a mechanic to fix this one and then start by fixing smaller problems to get a hang of working on your car. Engine timing is pretty advanced stuff