Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

Exhaust systems for the 209 CLK55?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 07:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 CLK55
Question Exhaust systems for the 209 CLK55?

I know that this question has probably been raised before, but I was wondering if anyone had any updates or new information in regards to an exhaust system for the 209 CLK55. I'm pretty sure that the factory exhaust manifold on the 55 is the same as the one on the CLK500. While this is very far from scientific, the BMW M5 has a very similar looking exhaust manifold (read; very restrictive), and California tuner Dinan claims that there was a 28 hp improvement from new headers alone. Being that they are both V8 engines of similar displacement with similar exhaust manifolds, does it stand to reason that there may be a similar improvement for the CLK55? Obviously the engines are different, with the 5 liter V8 for the M5 being a higher reving engine with an additonal exhaust valve for each cylinder, but with fewer revs and the larger displacement of the 55, I would think that the total volumetric air flow might be similar. Like I said, this is far from scientific!
I find it curious that there are allot of aftermarket power increases available for the kompressor engines, which in my opinion, need it the least, but not as much for the naturaly aspirated 5439 cc engine. At least none that are cost effective.
Lastly, if a full exhaust system is not available yet, are there at least any aftermarket mufflers available? I love the V8 sound, and I would like to hear just a little bit more of it. Nothing extreme mind you, but something that I will be able to hear without having to nail the throttle. Thanks for reading my post and for any replies...

Best regards,
Matt

p.s.) If there are exhaust systems available, does anyone have any idea on pricing? I know that I can call, but I don't like to waste anyones time unless I am buying something.