Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

Interesting article.. any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting article.. any thoughts?

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
Old 01-21-2004, 06:25 PM

AMG C43, 1999
I have known Motoman (Pat McGivern) for many years and he knows how to build some really fast engines. I also believe the information on his Website is True.

Engines I built for AMA Supersport that ran against his stuff were good runners if they could run neck and neck with his. Rarely could one of my engines run down a straight any faster than something Motoman built.

To understand the whole concept of what he is saying I highly recommend that you sign up for his free site. He has some 23 articles posted on engines and what it takes to make them go fast.

Jeff

Last edited by speedybenz; 01-21-2004 at 06:32 PM.
Old 01-21-2004, 07:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I hadn't read this but my father, a motor builder, and a highly experienced VoTec teacher told me this many years ago.

I broke my cl203 this way. I took my car out of the dealership, two blocks to the freeway, three exits to country roads northwest of of Cambridge, MA. Shifting then excelerating hard, downshifting and deceling that way.

Here's the baseline Dyno from a humid day last summer. Is this good by comparision?

Edit- The A/F was taken in the tail pipe. So it is off by point or so.

Last edited by nukblazi; 01-21-2004 at 07:05 PM.
Old 02-01-2004, 06:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL600, A8L W12, Continental GT, Range Rover SC
Interesting article. I have a knowledgeable friend whose theory on gently breaking in modern cars is that the procedure isn’t for the sake of the engine at all (in agreement with the article) but is really for the transmission and particularly the differential. The gearing in the differential has a complex milled shape which doesn’t have the smoothness of the honed parts in the engine itself. The break-in allows the surfaces of the differential gears to work-harden, allowing them to handle the enormous torque you get on a full throttle launch in first gear. If his theory is correct, then what you might want to do is take it easy in the low gears where torque to the rear end is highest, but floor it early on at high speed in, say, third gear to seat the rings.
Old 02-05-2004, 10:25 AM

ML 500 Sport
That also makes the case for breaking in the engine on the dyno rather than in the car. Aren't all AMG engines dynoed before installation?... If so let's hope they apply this principle.

It would be interesting to find out, given the impetus in current racing for longer use, high durability engines, in both DTM and F1...you would think there is alot of research into this issue going on at MB.....ie best breakin procedure for max power+high durability.

My Grandfather who drove only Packards insisted that you always warmed an engine under load...never at idle...for similar reasons.