Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

Which brand of CAMS to get??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 01:35 PM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Which brand of CAMS to get??

I'm debating if i should get CAMS or not? I see Kleemann offering cams as well as Evosport and also Schrick cams. Are all these cams have different specs (lifts and duartion) or are they similar for a M113 application? Also i've seen prices vary from $2500 up to $4100. Are they really worth the 20-25hp increase? What makes one brand of cam different from other brands? Warranty? Does it void the warranty? Pros and Cons on adding this upgrade?

Thanks
Old 03-24-2004, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jam, I don't know anything about the Kleemann or Shrick cams. As you know I have MKB cams. Personally, I think they are worth the money if you are really trying to get the most out of your car.
Old 03-24-2004, 01:56 PM
Out Of Control!

Slee

Thanks! I agree. But which brand should i get that will be a bang for the money and will give me the best HP output out of all these brands? Just following in your footsteps on a different chassis.
Old 03-24-2004, 07:29 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We have been told by reliable sources that Schrick makes the same cams for all Mercedes tuners as those they sell publically.

Have we verified this? No.

What I can tell you is that Schrick is the #1 cam builder for the euro aftermarket industry, and that they are the cam builder of choice for many euro tuners. Further, have seen the same gains from Schrick cams that other Mercedes tuners advertise, which supports what our sources have told us.

If you'd like to discuss this further, feel free to call me.

Regards,

Ben
Old 03-24-2004, 07:33 PM
Out Of Control!

Thanks for the info Ben. Just need to do a little more homework and decide from there.

Thanks again!
Old 03-24-2004, 10:20 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No problem. I'm here to help if you need anything else.
Old 03-25-2004, 11:29 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jam-

Cams are a great addition to your current set-up if they are done in conjunction with headers. Cams by themselves will not roll your socks down.

To this day MB sees fit to stick the same exhaust manifold on every M113 V8 (in the sense that it is a log type manifold with a tiny outlet diameter, the outlet angle and orientation change by chassis). A W211 E55 AMG has the same ex manifold as a W210 E430- 275 hp vs 493hp- with the same manifold?? In looking at the whole suck, squish, bang and blow aspect of the combustion equation the blow aspect of things is your current issue for unleashing power. Heres an example: put straw in your mouth and hold your nose, then run a mile while breathing through the starw. What difference would it make if your lungs grew in capacity by 15% if you still had to exhale throught the straw?

Cams improve "breathing" by increasing valve opening- when the valve opens, how long its open, how far it opens and when it closes.

You will get more power from a set of proper headers than cams will ever bring- both are the same cost (at least from KLEEMANN). Ideal situation would be both at the same time. If you have X to spend and you want the most GO, take the headers. The last W210 E55 KLEEMANN SC car we put headers on picked up over 50 hp and tq through the rev range.

In any case, I encourage you to examine ALL the products available to you, from any supplier and make then your choice.
Old 03-26-2004, 12:44 AM
CHB

'79 300D, '85 300Dt, '99 CLK430
What are the hp gaims on a clk430 without cams and with cams?
Old 03-26-2004, 01:05 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
3 Porsche rotation
Originally posted by KLEEMANN
Jam-

You will get more power from a set of proper headers than cams will ever bring- both are the same cost (at least from KLEEMANN). Ideal situation would be both at the same time. If you have X to spend and you want the most GO, take the headers. The last W210 E55 KLEEMANN SC car we put headers on picked up over 50 hp and tq through the rev range.

What is the price for the W210 E55 Kleemann headers?

John
Old 03-26-2004, 10:40 AM
Out Of Control!

KLEEMANN

Thank you again for your information! After seeing the numbers Cory sent i'm almost positive i'll be getting these components below.

Kleemann LSD
Kleemann Headers/Downpipes w/ Random Tech Cats
Cams (still not sure which brand to get so more homework)
ECU

Guess after all this i should be looking at about 650hp+ maybe?

JohnAMG

Pls PM Kleemann for the Headers/Downpipes pricing. Also if you decide to do that you will have to get a different set of CATS because of the diameter fitting is different.