Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

Mercedes 240d oil plug not coming undone.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 03:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
240D
Mercedes 240d oil plug not coming undone.

Sorry if this is the wrong forum to post in. Its embarrassing to say that this is my first time working on a car. I purchased my 240D awhile back and its getting close to the time for routine maintenance. Changed air filter, and the fuel filters. It was a little daunting, since this is my only means of transportation, and the first car I've ever worked on; but overall actually pretty easy. The only problem I have is with the oil pans plug. It is stuck in place. I borrowed a set of duralast sockets and wrenches from a friend and literally shattered the 13mm socket in the set trying to loosen it. Maybe I am doing something wrong. Maybe his set was crap. Not sure what I should do to ease it out. I haven't stripped it yet. Just looking for advice. I was thinking maybe oiling it up, or possibly trying again while the car is warm. Any insight would help. I'm a newby, so forgive my ignorance. A little embarrassed about it.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 929 Likes on 721 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Consider taking it to a shop and paying them to remove the plug.

Purchase and keep at least one spare plug on hand and also purchase a 25-count bag of copper washers (plug washers are replaced at every oil change).

Craftsman bolt/nut removal tool, a one-pound hammer and a large box end wrench were what I used to remove a stuck oil drain plug when I purchased my Mercedes used. Must have been a gorilla who installed the plug previously who did not know how to use a torque wrench and had no mechanical empathy.

See photo of end result. I tapped the bolt removal tool onto the head of the stuck drain plug, applied significant torque to the wrench while tapping *firmly* the bolt removal tool with the one-pound hammer. Not for the faint of heart. The hammer keeps the tool on the head of the plug and the impact shock helps to break the threads loose.

In the photo the groove in the bolt head was where I began to cut off the head in preparation to drilling out the oil pan plug but I decided to use the bolt removal tool first.

Alternatively, go with a suction-type oil change device that works from top-side (assuming you have a dipstick on your car).
Attached Thumbnails Mercedes 240d oil plug not coming undone.-20140420-oil-drain-plug.jpg