Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

When things go BOOOM- Blew something

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2004, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When things go BOOOM- Blew something

So something finally happened. I've been hearing crickets along HWYs, the car has been running a little, well, off. I assumed it was just nasty heat soak from the nasty Maryland weather. Today I was heading to the local AutoWerks (not the awesome CA shop but a local MD shop) to get my Eisenmann race exhaust installed.

Long story short;

3 - 4th Gear shift, BOOOOM- the shop is only .25 miles ahead. The clutch is more grabby than usual. There is less of a return on the clutch pedal after a shift.

Pull into the lot, look under the car. There are two puddles and now there is a significant "chatter" at idle. Roll the car back, and the two puddles are AC water. WTF, the AC wasn't on.

Talk to the shop owner, we both drive the car around the lot. No more water is dropping, the AC works, the clutch works, the car shifts, 1-6th and Reverse. Ok, I am going to drive it home because these guys have a three week back log.

Run through all the gears, 3rd is making a whining noise, but otherwise, things are ok. Stop at a light to make a left, light turns green, I start to go and I violently go into reverse. Try again, and I move forward and down the road.

The car is now making loud clunking noises as I go on, but I am on a country road with no shoulder, and no turn offs. No cell phone signal either. ****, hopes she makes it.

I've made it home and I am really annoyed but, I am assuming one of two things naturally;

A. My trans is shot, get a new one.
B. A clutch spring or pressure plate prong is bent, broken or popped off.

Going to remove the slave cylinder boot to look into the bell housing when she cools off to see if there are any loose parts down there.

I really do not want to go back to a stock clutch and I really really don't want to have to have Kleemann build me another unit and wait for the lead time. This blows. Will keep you all updated.

Anyone have any other ideas?
Tom