Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

HP to Weight Ratio

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2004, 11:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E430,S500
HP to Weight Ratio

Trying to figure out the Horse power to weight ratio. How much HP is added to how much weight deducted? Is this figure correct? For every 8 pds. deducted, you gain 1 hp?

Somebody please help me figure this out.

Thank you.
Old 08-16-2004, 10:23 PM

SLK32
The very rough rule of thumb is 10lbs = 1hp. But weight removal is not weight removal. Are you removing unsprung, sprung weight, rotational weight? Are you removing rotational weight from close to the center line or out along the edge? Lots of factors to take into account and really a simple answer.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:27 AM

E430,S500
I replaced Hood, battery, resonator, rims all in a effort to reduce weight. I've deducted alittle over 100lbs. as well as adding a few mods. My goal is to get better times in the 1/4 mile.
Old 08-27-2004, 11:24 AM

SLK32
Originally Posted by prof.griff
I replaced Hood, battery, resonator, rims all in a effort to reduce weight. I've deducted alittle over 100lbs. as well as adding a few mods. My goal is to get better times in the 1/4 mile.
If you want to reduce your quarter mile times I have three little words for you: PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. 100 lbs is not going to make an apperciable difference in the 1/4 mile. You may notice a difference in handling since you have reduced weight in several high spots. Also reductions in rotating & unsprung weight (like the wheels you changed) will have the greatest effect.
Old 08-27-2004, 11:34 PM

E430,S500
Went to the track tonight and ran slower times. I follow my upgrades carefully and noticed that after I removed my fan and shoud my car ran slower times but higher trap speeds.95.55 -14.8 (fan) to 95.89 -15.1 (without). The next mod I did was remove resonator to 2 1/4 diam. straight pipe. Results were equivalent times 15.1 but slower trap speed 94.80.

After comparing these slips with the mods, It seems that the fan removal makes the car run hot, resulting in slower acceleration 60'...2.444 but higher trap speed because of the freed up hp.

The straight pipe addiction again seems to result in slower acceleration as well as slower trap speed. Cause seems to be not enough back pressure for low end torque.

Fan will be put on immediately and compared to previous runs.

Seems like I went off topic but the Hp to weight ratio was for this reason.