Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

Performance chip from Thorton Chip Tuning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2020, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 s55 amg kompressor
Performance chip from Thorton Chip Tuning

I'm interested in getting some feedback or information from anyone who has installed or has experienced a performance chip from Thorton Chip Tuning. I have researched videos and reviews for all kinds and different makers of these chips. I talked to somebody at Ren tech about their $1000 chip vs other cheaper ones, and why there's are so much more expensive. They didn't have an answer. I then asked Thorton why there chips are so cheap($90). They said because they make them in house. I pulled the trigger on the Thorton because of a 30day money back. Ill be installing it into my 2003 S55 AMG kompressor. Please any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 12-20-2020, 03:13 AM

C430
You got taken, plain and simple. It is simply a fancy blinking light, nothing more. They lied if they said they made them in-house.
They are made in China:
https://www.performancechipguide.com...view-teardown/
Old 12-20-2020, 11:39 PM

Received 157 Likes on 133 Posts
S204 C250 CDI Sport
One born....

Naïf

​​​​

Old 12-21-2020, 07:49 AM

2003 s55 amg kompressor
Thank you for the info.
Old 12-21-2020, 07:50 AM

2003 s55 amg kompressor
Thanks for the boost of confidence, a real help.
Old 12-21-2020, 10:18 AM

Received 157 Likes on 133 Posts
S204 C250 CDI Sport
Old 09-12-2023, 09:47 PM

Honda odyssey
Let us know if it works
Old 09-19-2023, 11:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
1999 MB E430 1998 SL500
The above information is TOTALLY FALSE and is presented by people that have never actually used the Thornton chips. I have....both the stage 1 and 2 on my M113
CL500. These chips have an interesting manner for changing performance. Their chip on your OBD2 connector changes the input from each input spot to make it so that the ECU ends up making it conduct 'normal settings' outside the EPA settings. The stage 1 feels like it advances the mid-range timing by about 5 degrees making the engine much more lively from 1/4 throttle to 1/2 throttle which is a very welcome. Wide open throttle goes from a very rich 11 to 1 A/F ratio to a correct 12.5 to 1. Last week's test of fuel economy showed slightly better mileage but not enough to make this chip a good investment for mileage. Their claim of 20 HP I would say is about right. The stage 2 is nothing bu amazing!! The first time I floored it the car moved faster than I ever expected that engine to be able to. I believe that this chip turns off all EGR and other items on the car to maximize the HP increase. Their claim of 40 HP increase is actually believable. So...what is my recommendation? Not all things are good. For one thing, if you are having any ABC problems with your car then even the stage 1 will greatly exacerbate the situation. I was going down the road with an ABC white warning about every 10 miles with that chip. I am now fixing the right rear strut which should give my car a totally clean bill of health according to my Foxwell 510 Elite. The second misconception of these chips is that they exclude the car from the factory 'learn mode'. This is not true. If you want to go the fastest then you need to clear out the driving history that is no doubt discussed elsewhere in this forum. I think that you will be quite impressed with these chips if all else on the engine is up to snuff. I plan to continually run the stage 2 once my ABC problems are fixed. Sounds like you want to go a bit faster (the M113's are a bit slow) so I would recommend a bottle of SMB performance octane treatment from one of the Dollar Stores. This is methanol but only a small amount so no engine or catalytic damage whatsoever.Together with even the stage 1 chip you will think that you now have the 550 engine in your car. The other oddity of these chips is that for some reason both the stage 1 and 2 have a tendency to make the steering slightly more heavy. Not much but you ca feel it. Strange!

Last edited by J spaulding; 09-19-2023 at 11:25 PM. Reason: more info