Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

AMG 6.0 Liter V12 Biturbo Engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL500
AMG 6.0 Liter V12 Biturbo Engine

Winner in the category of Best Performance Engine at the prestigious International Engine of the Year Awards.

The AMG V12 biturbo engine has been in production at the Affalterbach engine plant
for a full year now. With its superior performance and torque of 604 PS and 738 lb-ft, the 6.0 liter engine achieves a new dimension of performance in the S 65 AMG, CL 65 AMG and SL 65 AMG high performance automobiles from the AMG line. And this will be the case for some time, as Wolf Zimmermann, Mercedes AMG executive in charge of development and production, reports: "Today Our AMG V12 biturbo engine is the most powerful car engine in production across the globe. There is still no competitor in sight who even begins to come close to us in this area".

The S 65 AMG and CL 65 AMG have been delivered to customers in Europe since January of 2004. Japan followed in April and the CL 65 AMG for the U.S. will start in September. From their launch through the end of July 2004, about 350 of each vehicle were sold. The SL 65 AMG started in Europe in June of 2004, and by the end of July already 180 vehicles had been delivered. The Japanese market followed in August, and the first American customers will be receiving their SL 65 AMGs in September.

As overwhelmingly positive as the reaction of AMG customers has been, the test reports about the AMG V12 models read every bit as euphorically. In a comparison appearing in the German publication Auto Bild, the CL 65 AMG went up against the Aston Martin DB 9, Bentley Continental GT and the Ferrari 612 Scaglietti. "The two turbo chargers explode with unparalleled power. Those 612 horses kick up like anything, the CL massages your ego with the thought of having so much power under your reins". The fact that the engine with the greatest performance and torque in this comparison test was able to obtain the lowest consumption value (14.6 mpg) by a clear margin may come as a surprise to the layman, but not at all to those who know the technology.

In its test report the German automotive lifestyle magazine Auto Focus also is enthusiastic about the astounding performance capability of the SL 65 AMG's double barreled Affalterbach power reactor. "Anyone who has sampled once too often the thrust it commands coming up from the basement in neutral will have to indulge regularly in this kind of luscious treat. Because six seconds are all it takes to accelerate from 160 to 200 km/h".

At the prestigious "International Engine of the Year Awards" held on May 26, 2004, the panel voted the 450 kW/612 hp AMG engine winner in the category of "Best Performance Engine" . This victory for the AMG V12 biturbo engine against 70 established competitors from Germany, Italy, Great Britain, France, the U.S. and Japan underscores Mercedes AMG s advanced skill in developing high-performance engines and automobiles. Decision panel member Graham Johnson from UK & International Press Automotive Magazines said, "Mercedes AMG has created an engine with a fantastic split personality - elegant, comfortable floating paired with the incredible power of a super-car".
Old 09-10-2004, 05:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 CLK55
Thumbs up Nice post, thanks!

I love that motor... Absolutely incredible. I would like to see one of those "internal view cut-away" pictures of this motor. I'd like to see what the valve layout is like, how the ports look and etc. I don't like how Mercedes Benz is so uptight about passing on information about their cars. I wanted to buy the sevice manual (CD) for my CLK55, but I was told by the parts guy that they're not allowed to sell them. I don't want it to work on my car, I just want to learn alot more about it. You would think that there's some sort of law where a car manufacturer should be obligated to provide both service information and parts. You know that they won't sell the manuals because they want your car to go to the dealerships. Anyway, I think that's crap...

Back to the original post, I'd like to see more of the 6 liter biturbo 12, so if you have anything more, please post away!

Best regards,
Matt
Old 09-23-2008, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
W220 S65 AMG
Here you go... not the AMG version of the engine but they layout would be the same:

Old 09-26-2008, 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
It is a great engine, and there is so much extra power available from it!