Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

Performance figures and opinions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2002, 09:16 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 slk230
Performance figures and opinions?

I have a 99' slk230 and am looking to put some more power in it. To start with my first plan is to go supersprint headers exhaust and mid section. I know it isn't technically legal but I live in pa where the police are not particularly picky and secondly I know numerous people who will pass my inspection if the only thing that isn't technically ok is my exhaust if they pass my friends z28 with no headers no cat and a straight through flow master exhaust I will have no problem.

My question really pertains to the different kits.
I see a trend of kleemann on this web site. First are the horsepower figures measured at the wheels or is it an engine dyno.
Also, what does anyone know about the opera kit or the oberklasse kit ( my appologies if that is spelled wrong I am an engineering student I can't spell for my life).
I've heard that kits with out a new fuel pressure regulator tend to have a dip in the torque and horsepower curve around 2500-3500 rpms due to fuel system problems in that rpm range and the fuel regulator with the oberklasse fixes that. Also both of those kits come with a new intercooler and larger intercooler pipes. The oberklasse comes with cams and an assortment of other things and the opera comes with a bigger intake pipe.

This is what I am considering. And I'd like to here some opinions. Buy the kleeman pulley kit. And buy the opera stage one kit for the larger intercooler and piping and sell the pulley on ebay or just have a performance shop put a larger intercooler and piping in custom. Then have a custom intake made and have it painted bahamma blue to match the car. And depending on what I find out after some discussion with you all and an engine builder, maybe have a larger fuel pressure regulator installed. Also at this point evo sport should have a set of cams ready and install those. Also, somewhere in there throw in an upsolute chip.

Let me know what you think of the idea. I know it is expensive but I am planning on putting 90% of my summer's pay into this and I have wanted to put some power in my car since the day I got it so maybe I will go overboard and have some fun.

Thanks,
Jonathan
Old 05-20-2002, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 156 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
Damn, somebody answer this kids question - He has big plans for his SLK. Way to go. Good Luck!