Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

more hp in the slk!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2002, 01:41 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 slk230
more hp in the slk!

Ok here is part of what I had previously posted. I see a trend of kleemann on this web site. First are the horsepower figures measured at the wheels or is it an engine dyno.
Also, what does anyone know about the opera kit or the oberklasse kit ( my appologies if that is spelled wrong I am an engineering student I can't spell for my life).
I've heard that kits with out a new fuel pressure regulator tend to have a dip in the torque and horsepower curve around 2500-3500 rpms due to fuel system problems in that rpm range and the fuel regulator with the oberklasse fixes that. Also both of those kits come with a new intercooler and larger intercooler pipes. The oberklasse comes with cams and an assortment of other things and the opera comes with a bigger intake pipe.

This is what I am considering. And I'd like to here some opinions. Buy the kleeman pulley kit. And buy the opera stage one kit for the larger intercooler and piping and sell the pulley on ebay or just have a performance shop put a larger intercooler and piping in custom. Then have a custom intake made and have it painted bahamma blue to match the car. And depending on what I find out after some discussion with you all and an engine builder, maybe have a larger fuel pressure regulator installed. Also at this point evo sport should have a set of cams ready and install those. Also, somewhere in there throw in an upsolute chip.

Let me know what you think of the idea. I know it is expensive but I am planning on putting 90% of my summer's pay into this and I have wanted to put some power in my car since the day I got it so maybe I will go overboard and have some fun.

I just found out what the price is on the oberclasse set up it is around 10 grand. and gives 265 hp. I figure between the kleeman pulley and the supersprint I can almost 250. For some reason I recall seeing dyno numbers on the supersprint and it put an extra 12 hp on with headers, exhaust and mid section. That figure may be higher than 247 because the of the engine reving faster from the exhaust it may make the kleeman pulley boost hp more but I'm not sure either way I think I can be happy with that set up for less than 3,000 and the other one being 10. But once again everyone let me know what you think. Sorry about making a similar post a second time but I figured it would save time of bouncing back and forth between posts. Those two would be my first step and then maybe move on to the other ideas I discussed above.
Thanks,
Jonathan
Old 05-23-2002, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55, F550, S600 Ducati 999
Jonathan
I can't help you myself, but am happy to share ideas/experiences with you. I just took delivery of new SLK a couple of days ago and have had plans for a HP upgrade since we first ordered the car. In reading posts on this and other forums, the dip in hp/torque seems to be attributed to the positioning of the MAS. If I understand correctly, the Kleeman kit for example, on pre 2000 SLK's includes componants for repositioning the MAS to overcome this problem. LINH has also provided a detailed thread on this board inc photos for performing this mod yourself if you have the earlier model.
Old 05-28-2002, 10:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
99' SLK 230 & 01' CLK 430
Stephens,

Countrybumkin is right. I can also tell you that my home made MAS relocation kit work wonderfully with Kleemann pulley kit. There was no hesitation/black hole at all.
Old 05-28-2002, 10:34 PM

slk 230
Kleemann vs. oberklasse

I researced Oberklasse carefully because 1) they are nearby in Fort Worth and 2) I have a distant contact to them. Their kit with new pulley, intercooler, fuel pressure regulator, and cam reportedly produces ~265 hp. The Kleeman kit reportedly produces ~225 to ~230. That said, you are going to pay ~$9,000 for ~30 to 40 hp. No matter what you do, its not going to be a Viper or a SL32. I bought the Kleemann kit and am very satisfied. In my opinion, it is the most increase for the money.