Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

rollcage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 02:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts
CLK320
rollcage

I found a local shop that can custom make a 6 to 10 point roll cage. Is rollcage really worth it ? Does it makes ur car a lot stiffer ? And what metrial should i use and is 6 point cage enough for track use ?
Old 01-27-2005, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tery
I found a local shop that can custom make a 6 to 10 point roll cage. Is rollcage really worth it ? Does it makes ur car a lot stiffer ? And what metrial should i use and is 6 point cage enough for track use ?
You need to determine what you want to do. Each organization, SCCA, NASA, EMRA, etc. have thier own specific requirements, which is further broken down by competition class.

Typically, the wieght of the vehicle depicts the tickness of the wall and diameter of the required pipes.

Some situations, such as SCCA stock classes, specifically disallow welded in rollcages because they stiffen the chassis.

Other orgs have no requirements for track days/HPDE, but require 4 - 6 point cages for competition schools.

Yes it is worth it, and if permissible, so is welding the seams. Here is a WC Car build up site. http://www.ericksonmotorsports.com/gallery/cage.html
Old 01-27-2005, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32
Is this car going to be driven on the street? If so I personally would not drive the car without a helmet in any car with more than a 4 point rollbar. Your backseats will also become a deathtrap for anyone riding back there.

Is it worth it? Well it will add a minimum of 200lbs to your car. Therefore it will be slower. You will also need a good properly secured 5 or 6 point harness(ie.. drill holes through floorboards)

Why do you want a cage anyway?
Old 01-27-2005, 11:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK320
I don't really drive the car on the street. I am trying to make the car for track use only. I think the CLK body is too soft so i want a stiffer body. My rear seat is already out u can look right throught the trunk. And i have Recaro SPG and soon 4 pt harness Sabelt on it. And to be safe on the track i think a rollcage is wroth it.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I don't really drive the car on the street. I am trying to make the car for track use only. I think the CLK body is too soft so i want a stiffer body. My rear seat is already out u can look right throught the trunk. And i have Recaro SPG and soon 4 pt harness Sabelt on it. And to be safe on the track i think a rollcage is wroth it.
Then yes, you NEED to do a cage, and it will significantly increase the chassis rigidity of the CLK. Do more than a 4-point. Do the full halo with 6 major atachment points in the cabin, and if you are really going to race it, extend the cage through the firewall to the front strut towers.

What are your goals? Where, and with who, do you want to race the car?

EDIT- I went back and looked at some of your other posts. There are a lot of other things you should do to the car, besides the cage, like remove the stereo, A/C, (Canadians need Heat though)... Brabus Sways? Get H&R or contact Speedybenz to see if you can make a race bar (solid or hollow) 3 piece bar with splined ends to attach lever arms, and or get H&R adjustables and Speedybenz can make you adjustable endlinks, and get adjustable Camber for the rear, front camber caster plates, AND SERIOUSLY, if you are tracking the car, get rid of the HREs, they are way to expensive to destroy racing, and the lead time to get a replacement is WAY TO LONG. It seems like you have a lot of other work to do before you bother caging.

There's no need to pay top dolar for a top tuners suspension components when they're typically EXACT components or complete units made private label by the manufactures. Look into KW 3-way race setups, they use Koni struts and Eibach springs (the best and most commonly used in race applications)

I hope you understand my points. Feel free to contact me if you want to discuss any of this more. nukblazi@comcast.net

Last edited by nukblazi; 01-28-2005 at 10:50 AM.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK320
can u give me more info on KW ? i am looking for new suspension setup.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The CLK chassis definitely needs to be stiffened for any serious driving.

Evosport had a chromaly rollcage installed in my CLK. It is expensive, but it weighs very little and the installation was beautiful. I believe they had an 8 point cage installed in my car so the back seats became unusable and were removed.
Attached Thumbnails rollcage-57470467.jpg  
Old 01-28-2005, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Holy christ IT LIVES! What's up Sleestach?!!! I guess from the sig., "Almost there" your beast is near completion?

My C-Coupe is the same, needs serious reinforcement. Mine is not track only yet and the SCCA Street Prepared class allows "bolt-in" only cages, I can weld in a rollbar but why bother. Here's the link to KW. http://kwsuspensions.com/. The race set ups are completely custom and built to your specs. You'll need camber/caster plates and upper spring perch adapter to mount up the 2.5id (or 60mm) spring.

I just purchased the KW Variant 2 coilover (should be here Monday), since they don't offer the Variant 3 for the coupe, and I drive it on the street so I didn't get the race. They offer the V3 for the CLK, http://www.kwsuspensions.com/v3apps.htm, email me for more info, I can help you get a unbeatable price.

Last edited by nukblazi; 01-28-2005 at 01:24 PM.
Old 01-28-2005, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK320
Nice cage ! I am thinking about 6 point cage right now. like the one on Carlsson CLK. but i want all the joint weld togeather not like the Carlsson one are connect by bolts.
Thank for the info nukblazi.
Sleestack can u please take more pic of ur cage ? like the rear and the bar that goes on the front ? Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
kkhhk.bmp (799.9 KB, 3523 views)

Last edited by tery; 01-28-2005 at 02:32 PM.
Old 01-28-2005, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here's a picture of the back side. The back seats are no longer there and the fronts are being replaced with racing seats, but you get the idea.

Nuk B - That has been in my sig for a year, but yes, the car will be complete shortly.
Attached Thumbnails rollcage-cage1.jpg  
Old 01-28-2005, 08:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Sleestack
Here's a picture of the back side. The back seats are no longer there and the fronts are being replaced with racing seats, but you get the idea.

Nuk B - That has been in my sig for a year, but yes, the car will be complete shortly.
That's a great pic and I am glad you're nearing completion. Your cage is missing the diagonal bar from the top of the drivers side B-Pilar to the bottom of the passenger's B pilar. Not that you're going to race - race it, but some organizations/ tracks require that bar.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:07 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Nukblazi, wouldn't the horizontal bar take care of that?
Old 01-29-2005, 02:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK320
Sleestack do u feel that after the cage was install u car handles better ? Any difference after the cage was install
Old 01-29-2005, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sleestack do u feel that after the cage was install u car handles better ? Any difference after the cage was install
LOL. I don't know b/c the cage was installed as part of a complete overhaul on my car. I haven't driven the car with cage yet, but i'll have the opportunity in about a month or so. Nevertheless, the cage should have a dramatic difference on the rigidity of the car and from what I am told, should greatly improve handling.

As for specific track/ racing organization requirements... I'm not particuluarly concerned as the car will spend most of its time on the road. The cage was installed to improve the performance of the car and to allow the chassis to better handle the anticipated 700 hp. I'd probably get a proper sports car if I spent alot of time at the track. You should probably look into specific requirements if you are more track inclined.
Old 01-29-2005, 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
Nukblazi, wouldn't the horizontal bar take care of that?
Depends on the org., but as stated below, Sleestack's car is a street machine, and for track days that cage is more then most would have.

I thought with 700HP and a full cage he'd be entering GT3 Racing
Old 02-11-2005, 01:25 PM

Received 176 Likes on 150 Posts
E550 Coupe 2wd (2016)
Damn tery, that pix gave me a semi!

I put a cage and harnesses in my truck, now I feel naked an unsafe in any other car. I don't think I'll hack up my car, at least not anytime soon.. :v
Old 02-11-2005, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
What do you drive ? is it a clk 320? as listed in your sig...

Even w/all your current mods what kind of HP TQ are you putting out with a CLK 320 that would warrant a rollcage? or are you going to get a whole new engine? Or are you just looking to rally ??

Last edited by Thericker; 02-11-2005 at 01:53 PM.
Old 02-12-2005, 01:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK320
Hi not very big HP and TQ like the 55 dose. But becuase i strip pretty much everything out inside and engine is at least putting somewhere 260hp i guess i am not sure ( don't flame me please i am really not sure maybe is much lower ). But i am looking for handling and the way the car can go around track much over stright line. I know 320 is not a great performance engine but i hope one can i can supercharge it or find a 2nd hand 55 engine drop it in. So i was wondering a rollcage might help the very much about the way CLK can turn and for safty reason.