Questions about how MBWorld.org works...not for car questions. Use this forum for help on using all or any part of the forums. Make sure to read the Forum FAQs first.

Banned? Why banned?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 06:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'04 Mars Red C230K Sport Coupe (not Coup-EH)
Banned? Why banned?

I have been seeing with more and more alarming frequency users banned on posts I read. I'm always curious why they've been banned, so I go look at their other postings. Some of them are obvious trolls (c230_617 is an example) but others, like Oil Change, don't seem to be (at least from the first page or two back of posts). What's going on here? Are the offending posts deleted? Or are these people doing something wrong that I'm not aware of, and can be potentially banned for? It especially worries me that some off-topic post of opinion (not racist or rude, just opinion) can wind up getting you banned. Can a mod please explain some of the logic behind this behavior?
Old 05-09-2006, 01:00 AM
MBWorld Founder

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 GT R Pro, 2019 GT3 RS, 2018 GT3 Touring
Originally Posted by jedcred
I have been seeing with more and more alarming frequency users banned on posts I read. I'm always curious why they've been banned, so I go look at their other postings. Some of them are obvious trolls (c230_617 is an example) but others, like Oil Change, don't seem to be (at least from the first page or two back of posts). What's going on here? Are the offending posts deleted? Or are these people doing something wrong that I'm not aware of, and can be potentially banned for? It especially worries me that some off-topic post of opinion (not racist or rude, just opinion) can wind up getting you banned. Can a mod please explain some of the logic behind this behavior?
Sorry, but I'm not familiar with "Oil Change". Give me a specific example. We do NOT ban people for no reason. It is normally a violation of our Terms Of Use Policy that gets people in trouble. Having an opinion does not get you banned. How you present or state that opinion may. Likewise, some offending posts may be removed, but that is not always the case. Please be more specific or PM me so I can better understand your concerns.
Old 05-09-2006, 03:26 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Oil Change was banned by another moderator (not me) because it was found he was in fact a previously banned member who had tried to sneak back aboard the forums (like various iterations of c230_617). In this case, it was not readily apparent why this banning occurred, because it happened in the background as a result of an investigation.

This example aside, however, suspensions, probations and bannings almost always occur only when the TOU is violated. It is worthwhile to periodically read the Terms of Use, in the link Mr. Vanos provided above.

Any one of us can have a bad day and say something we regret. In which case, the staff tries to work with that member to bring it to their attention, followed by warnings, if repeat transgressions make it necessary. Banning or other action is usually a last resort, after all other options are exhausted.

Members who have been previously suspended and return, usually are placed on a shorter leash by staff -- as they should -- to ensure that previous behavior is not repeated. There have been a couple notable bannings lately. But these have resulted from repeated offenses that can't be ignored.

In sum, if you are nice and respectful of other members you will never have to worry about being banned.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:12 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
I also think there is some copy cat action to the behavior that ends up getting banned. That may be why we have had more lately. I have also recognized some of them as previously contributing members, but we must remember that being nice 95% of the time is not enough. That extra 5% can still get you in trouble. Bad days or not, being rude and hateful to others that do not ask for it is wrong. i get into flame wars with some from time to time, but that is more of a case of one openning his trap and another taking the bait. they both (or all) know what they are getting into and are really only pulling each other's strings. This action may or may not cause our mods enough grief to stop it, but they ususally don't since it is between concenting adults (so to speak). The mods do a great job of keeping the place civil and yet active. heated discussions spurs thought and that can be good. We are all enthusiasts and use this site in one way or another, so let's do what we can to support the mods, too!!
Old 05-15-2006, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Founder

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 GT R Pro, 2019 GT3 RS, 2018 GT3 Touring
Originally Posted by jangy
I also think there is some copy cat action to the behavior that ends up getting banned. That may be why we have had more lately. I have also recognized some of them as previously contributing members, but we must remember that being nice 95% of the time is not enough. That extra 5% can still get you in trouble. Bad days or not, being rude and hateful to others that do not ask for it is wrong. i get into flame wars with some from time to time, but that is more of a case of one openning his trap and another taking the bait. they both (or all) know what they are getting into and are really only pulling each other's strings. This action may or may not cause our mods enough grief to stop it, but they ususally don't since it is between concenting adults (so to speak). The mods do a great job of keeping the place civil and yet active. heated discussions spurs thought and that can be good. We are all enthusiasts and use this site in one way or another, so let's do what we can to support the mods, too!!
Well said and thanks for the support!
Old 06-04-2006, 03:13 PM
RHW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
94 Wagon and 94 Cabriolet
This post answers several of my questions, glad it was asked and answered as above.
Old 06-24-2006, 02:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1985 380 SL 2001 SL 500 2007 E350 Sport 2008 T & C Ltd.
True...great site gentlemen/women.