Questions about how MBWorld.org works...not for car questions. Use this forum for help on using all or any part of the forums. Make sure to read the Forum FAQs first.

E320 will not start - cam adjuster - HELP?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 12:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes 300SD 1983
E320 will not start - cam adjuster - HELP?

Dear Forum:

My E320 1995 will not start! The idle was not perfect and it rattled a little but if put in neutral it was very smooth. However, the car was hard to start one morning. Needed to be cranked over a couple of times and subsequently did not start the next morning!

No spark..

2 month old coils and spark plug wires as well as spark plugs and O2 sensor.....and the wiring harness is OK..

My spark plugs are wet so I know I get fuel..

I get error code 24 is the CKP sensor or magnet for position sensor not recognized.

I replaced CKP and CAM sensor as well as ECU and OVP relay..

If I reset the ECU I get a spark for two tries and then it is blocked and the error code 24 appears again...

I now put a scope directly on the CKP (yellow trace) and Cam sensor (magenta trace) pins at the ECU and measured the attached trace. It seems the senor output are correct but I am not sure about the timing!

I also checked the cam adjuster magnet. It has 5 Ohms resistance and if I ground it, it will energize and I hear a click! It draws about 2 A.

Here is the catch! IF I energize the adjuster magnet the timing between the CKP and CAM sensor does not change! Is my adjuster magnet stuck in the position used at high RPMs? Do I have to open the top of the engine?

Did anybody come across this? please help! I need my car back it has taken too long and one workshop already gave up on it!
Attached Files