Questions about how MBWorld.org works...not for car questions. Use this forum for help on using all or any part of the forums. Make sure to read the Forum FAQs first.

Diesel Damsel In Distress!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
85 mercedes benz 300D turbo diesel
Diesel Damsel In Distress!

Hi everyone!
I'm new to this chat/forum thing but I have been getting so much helpful info when I google any question it leads me straight to these sites. So I thought I would join up myself.

So here's my deal:
Just got an 85' 300D Turbo and its a beautiful ride! Very clean, one elderly owner, colonel in the military, almost 200K...really nice car.

My problem has been a really toxic smell when I drive. I had the engine steam cleaned right after I bought it because the owner told me he sprayed Armor All in the engine compartment. Then my mechanic said there was a small leak and replaced that cloth covered tube/hose? We also put some brand new veggie oil in the box/cube and mixed it with diesel. That was fine.

Anyway...I keep getting sick whenever I drive my cool new car!! I am extremely chemically sensitive, this is true. But I have owned an '81 SD myself, my stepdad has an '84 300 Turbo, and I worked briefly at Biofuel conversion garage. So I dont think I'm allergic to diesel. I've been around plenty of them all my life. But when I have driven in the one I currently own now I get dizzy, headaches, burning eyes, throat, nose and almost a weird metallic taste in my mouth. My dad's girlfriend said she smelled and tasted it too. But no one else notices it as much.

Anyone have ANY suggestions?! I am exasperated I almost want to sell the car!!