Questions about how MBWorld.org works...not for car questions. Use this forum for help on using all or any part of the forums. Make sure to read the Forum FAQs first.

P0702 Error Code: Trans. Control System Electrical

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 Mercedes Benz E-320 4-Matic
P0702 Error Code: Trans. Control System Electrical

I am a new owner of a slightly used 2002 MBenz E320 4-Matic. I currently have 85,000 miles on it and recently 3,000 miles ago noticed that it seems to be stuck in a lower gear. It's not shifting very well! I stopped by Autozone and they did a scan on it. It came up with Error Code P0702 "Transmission Control System Electrical". I'm trying to save some $$$$ and not take it to the local MB Dealer. This car is by far the best car I've ever had and I want to hold on to it! Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Old 11-23-2011, 06:48 AM

91 300sel,97 S500, 95 525i
Good morning, P0702 is a fault indicating there is a fault stored in the EGS. You will need to find a shop that retreive the codes from the trans control unit (EGS). A couple simple checks you can do are; Start the car and put it in gear and make sure the gear indicator in the cluster next to the clock registers the right gear selection. If not that is an good indicator that the shifter is shorted. usually due to a cup of coffee or water. You could also look at the electrical connector on the side of the trans and make sure it is not leaking. The part is less than $20 at the dealer and you will need a liter of atf. Most commonly is the conductor plate which is the circuit board for the trans solinoids fails. There are a couple speed sensors
on it that wil fail. It is located on top of the valve body and is a couple hr repair. First and foremost you need to find someone that can retreive the EGS fault codes in order to diagnose properly without spending a ton of money and effort.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:26 AM

2002 Mercedes Benz E-320 4-Matic
BenzTech415,
Good morning! Thank you for your reply! I found a shop that can retrieve fault codes from the EGS. That will be happening this Saturday. Also, I should have said this in the previous post. I have replaced both Catalytic Converters (Driverside-47,000 miles/ Passenger side 82,000 miles) And the Diverside Converter is going bad already! It is a OEM Rebuilt Converter. I read that it could be about eight different things that are causing the Converters to go bad. Any idea what I should check first? Thank you once again for your reply!
Old 12-15-2011, 12:02 AM

e class
post here: mybenzguru.com to receive free mercedes benz master technician help