Questions about how MBWorld.org works...not for car questions. Use this forum for help on using all or any part of the forums. Make sure to read the Forum FAQs first.

e240 intermittent new smart key start problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 E240 & 96 E230 & 78 280se
e240 intermittent new smart key start problem

I hope some one may have an answer to my intermittent new smart key problem.

recently I purchased a new smart from the local merc agent (went through all the details necessary etc) for my 99 e240 . as the old one was damaged and worn.

Worked fine at first then occassionally on starting the engine would fire up then shut down immediately, on the second or third attempt it would finally keep running, I have repaired the old key and its seems ok (so far),

So took vehicle back to Agent , they had it for a day, did tests etc , and have replaced the new smart key, its better but occassionaly it still takes two attempts to get the engine to keep running, ie fires up then shuts down immediately. Is there is a developing problem ??.

The new Key still playing up, at random times,its 10 days on now .The new key has a vericle red window half the the width of the inserting end, the old one has a recrangular window of about three quarters of the end size, could this be the cause of the problem?

Has any one had this problem of V6 W210 engine firing up then immediately shutting down ??

The dealer has had the car (and new smart key) again for 2 days ,as I submitted an EXEL report of Date, time, KMS,etc over 80 starts ,15 fail starts, conclusion it is the EIS in dash not key, $2100 to replace, not doing this as Old keys are OK

Last edited by johngelone; 08-18-2012 at 10:50 AM. Reason: up date