Questions about how MBWorld.org works...not for car questions. Use this forum for help on using all or any part of the forums. Make sure to read the Forum FAQs first.

Auto Save

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2020 | 12:46 AM

2008 S550 Lorinser, 2003 745Li, 2002 S600 AMG, 92 Acura Legend Coupe
Auto Save

Hello,
I'm a newbie. I started composing my second post in the W220 sedan forum....very, very long. It took me about 3 hrs to write it. When I clicked preview post, it disappeared and I can no longer find it. Where did it "auto save" to so I can retrieve it. I don't want to have to write that book all over again.

Thank you....
Big Pops
Old 09-02-2020 | 06:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E400 Sedan
3 hour long post?

Who will have the time or the inclination to read something that long on a forum site?
Old 09-02-2020 | 07:52 AM

ygmn,
It took that long to write....making sure I gave good descriptions of the problems, codes, and what I've researched/done to fix it.....including pics. I'm new to this forum, but not a newbie to sharing descriptive info to help speed along the repair process. If some things can already be ruled out, that makes the process less complicated for me and anyone offering advice.....less try this try that....do your research.....this topic has already been answered, etc. It probably was a good 4-6 min read though.

Also, If you have no inclination to spend time reading posts on a forum site, then you are on the wrong site. I've done hours upon hours of reading and research to find solutions....and with your over 1,100 posts, I'm sure you have too.
Plus I'm writing while working from home, conference calls, family, etc. That's why I thought "Auto Saved" was keeping a copy somewhere.

r/
Big Pops
Old 09-02-2020 | 01:31 PM
IB Staff

You need to return to the exact spot in which you was compiling the message.

So if you were created a New Thread in the W220 forum, you need to return to that forum and click New Thread. If there was an auto saved message you will see the following when you open a New Thread action:

Same thing if you were replying to an existing thread. You need to return to that exact thread and if there's an auto save message associated with that thread, you will see the following:

There is no other place to view any stored auto save messages. They are stored in an area of the browser's database that is not easily accessible by the user. This also means they could get cleared out by the browser, 3rd party software, or not available if using a different browser from when the auto saved event occurred.

Old 09-02-2020 | 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E400 Sedan
misunderstood and all is well....

good luck
Old 09-04-2020 | 10:04 AM

IB JT, Thank you. Unfortunately I closed the browser and couldn't retrieve it. In the future, I'll look out for that restore button.

ygmn, no problem. I just wanted to make sure I'm conforming to forum rules. I look forward to your valued input/help, plus you helped me to get my 3rd post. I am now a full fledged member of the forum!
I'll rewrite my post for the W220 forum, and I'll try my best to keep it well under 3 hours.
Old 09-08-2020 | 03:19 AM

SL600, SL500, SLK350
I have fat-fingered some long technical posts myself (and lost them!). Thanks for the recovery tips, which I didn't know about. At any rate, I would suggest to all MBWorld users that you first save any long posts to a text or word processing file and then copy your long post into the MBWorld reply window. Avoid Murphy's Law and remember the first rule of computers: Save early, save often...