Questions about how MBWorld.org works...not for car questions. Use this forum for help on using all or any part of the forums. Make sure to read the Forum FAQs first.

Forum Terms Of Use : Please read!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2002, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Founder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ones too fast according to CHP!
Originally posted by young
oh, i know the costs. is $1000+/month a lot of money for you? for me it is...
It actually costs quite a bit more then that as you have to account for the time or programming the site and maintaining it.

and i understand what advertising is for and of course, professional teams, etc. need it and enforce it. but i thought mbworld was less formal/rigid.
We are - we don't immediately erase or edit posts and we allow people to post once or twice without harrassment. That is far less rigid then any other board out there that I know of this is similar size to this one.

and one of karl's points was that evosport - as the owner of mbworld - cannot objectively deal w/ non-evosport related companies such as renntech b/c it conflicts w/ their own self-interest. so, mbworld has an interest to mis-represent competitors. and of course, i am not saying that is in any way happening - just that that conflict exists. let me use this example: coca cola may run a site, but when pepsi wants to advertise on that site... what should coca cola do? what is their interest? i know a lot of businesses that use personally immoral, but business-ethically prudent tactics.
Well, we have never and will never do this. The proof is in the pudding! So if you don't trust us, then you can simply watch and see for yourself. The issue was never that we did not want Renntech info posted, just that there are rules that people need to follow and there are people who were paying to get the priveledge while others were getting it for free!

in the end, i am not saying that mbworld should not have an advertising policy. and i'm not saying that mbworld should be anarchic. just that the idea of a "free forum to learn/share about mercedes" has evolved to "sort-of free forum to learn/share about mb" is not the same thing. (and this may have been just my own personal misunderstanding of mbworld and it's objectives - if so, let me know and i can adjust my own expectations of mbworld)
It is free to you, but not to commercial entities. If we allowed that you would have every vendor on the planet posting spam left and right! Is that what you want?

and on a practical level, is there such a big deal if randy has his company info in his sig? are there a lot of such non-paying forum members? i have to reiterate the value of public disclosure. i think it is of benefit for me to know that randy's views may be compromised by his affiliation w/ renntech. or kleemann. or whomever. public disclosure does not equal advertising. you might as well make randy change his tag from renncpe b/c that is advertising...
YES - it IS a BIG DEAL! There are rules, some people pay for that, why should anyone get it for free?

hypothetically, if ben outopalik (sorry if i mangled your name... ) says that kleemann is better than renntech, it helps me make a more informed assessment of his statements knowing that evosport is a kleemann dealer.
First of all it is Brad Otoupalik OR Ben Kleinberg. Second of all, if you are going to spend the money, I would expect you to do a little research on your own before you spend the money. Also, Randy does want to advertise, so you WILL have disclosure as we will have the sig with Renntech once we get him an add pack!
Old 06-12-2002, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2008 BMW M6, 2008 Ducati 1098, 2008 Ducati Monster S2R1000, 1971 Ducati Scrambler
Everyone is treating the situation as if Mr. Vanos and Otoupalik are going around on every post basically saying "Renntech makes crap products, buy Kleemann instead"... But this is not happening, infact Simon and Otoupalik are so busy maintaining and working on the website they have no time to post... which is why you will RARELY see them partaking in any sort of discussion here on MBWorld. They did not say Renntech makes bad products, they just don't allow blatant advertising for non-paying companies, which is more than understandable.

Renntech makes great, quality products, it's just they are not a sponsor of the website.

Please understand, when you visit MBWorld.org, you are not spammed with advertisements from Evosport or another company, unlike every other forum.

There is another MB forum that has just begun to charge an annual fee of $40 so that people can become "Premium Members". They did this because it is their last resort to keep their website alive because they have not been fortunate enough to get advertisers. Many, many, many forums, Mercedes-Benz related and not, are beginning to do this same thing, charging members. MBWorld.org is the largest online forum for Mercedes-Benz, well in english anyways... a few months ago I saw this german forum, it had over 100,000 members.

Young, you are in the C-Class forum mostly. When you come into the C-Class forum, do you want the first 20 threads you see to be along the lines of "Check out our new product", etc. This would happen if there were no rules.

Now lets be a little blunt here, Renntech is the largest Mercedes-Benz aftermarket tuner, they have been featured in nearly every car magazine. Whether you're a Mercedes-Benz enthusiast, or an average Joe, chances are, you have heard of Rennteh. It's not like they are a new company who needs all the advertising they can get. The same rules will apply to anyone, not just Renntech in particular.

Brad is right about the spam, the other, much smaller MB forums are spammed left and right by companies.
Old 06-12-2002, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLB 250 4matic
ok, let me state again, that EVOSPORT is NOT belittling any of their competitors. NOR is KLEEMANN, NOR RENNTECH.

i made it a point in my post several times that that was NOT happening.

right now, it's just a perceived potential - philosophical discussion.
Old 06-12-2002, 08:09 PM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ok ok ok will this ever stop? C'mon peeps it's all about the Benzos!