R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

NAV a dud?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NAV a dud?

I'm keenly interested in the new R Class, and I expect to get it with the NAV system. I've never owned a car with a NAV. I've noticed a few posts here and elsewhere that are harshly critical of the MB NAV system, saying that it's not nearly as good as competitors like Acura. I've spent some quality time with NAV systems in friends' Acura (MDX) and BMW (new 5 series), and those systems seem to be decent.

To anyone familiar with the NAV system that will be in the new R Class:

1. Will it be the same system currently used in other MB models that has gotten lots of criticism?

2. If so, what, if anything, in your view is so bad about the MB NAV?

3. If the new R class will have a new NAV system, do you have any idea what it will be like - good or bad?

Thanks for the input.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by Timothy
I'm keenly interested in the new R Class, and I expect to get it with the NAV system. I've never owned a car with a NAV. I've noticed a few posts here and elsewhere that are harshly critical of the MB NAV system, saying that it's not nearly as good as competitors like Acura. I've spent some quality time with NAV systems in friends' Acura (MDX) and BMW (new 5 series), and those systems seem to be decent.

To anyone familiar with the NAV system that will be in the new R Class:

1. Will it be the same system currently used in other MB models that has gotten lots of criticism?

2. If so, what, if anything, in your view is so bad about the MB NAV?

3. If the new R class will have a new NAV system, do you have any idea what it will be like - good or bad?

Thanks for the input.
You may want to post in the ML (W164) forum. The 2006 ML has the same NAV system that will go into the R and some of the critical comments have been made by users on that group.