R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

R class no good for 3 kids family?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 05:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question R class no good for 3 kids family?

Hi all,

Long time reader, first time poster. I have been highly interested in the R class since the early spy shots. I got to see the GST concept in Paris last year and I am now considering the car seriously as our next family car.
However I need you guys opinion. We currently have 2 kids and are thinking about a 3rd one. Here is the issue with the R class. Outstanding vehicle it seems for 2 people in the back but the 3rd kid is out of luck. Yes the rearmost seats are, it seems, better than any other in current 7 seaters however, seating alone in the back is 1. not very fun, 2. potentially dangerous depending the amount of luggage one has to carry ie keeping only 1 seat up, 3. assuming you put the 3rd in through the tailgate otherwise you have to remove one of the car seats in the middle row... 4. No dice with the entertainment system since it really is designed for the middle row.
All in all, I love the R class idea and concept but unfortunately for a family of five with young children it doesn't seem to be a good solution. Don't get me wrong I REALLY want to avoid buying a normal minivan and a solution away from a large SUV is nice too but right now the R class doesn't seem to fit my bill. Obviously I'll have to check it when the car is actually available to make up my mind.
Finally given the price point, I can't believe Merc hasn't fitted a Bluetooth phone interface in the car...
Sorry for the long post and thanks for your opinions!
C

PS: NevadaJack thanks for being such an active poster and keeping this forum up to date with tons of info!
Old 08-06-2005, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by cpd1
Hi all,

Long time reader, first time poster. I have been highly interested in the R class since the early spy shots. I got to see the GST concept in Paris last year and I am now considering the car seriously as our next family car.
However I need you guys opinion. We currently have 2 kids and are thinking about a 3rd one. Here is the issue with the R class. Outstanding vehicle it seems for 2 people in the back but the 3rd kid is out of luck. Yes the rearmost seats are, it seems, better than any other in current 7 seaters however, seating alone in the back is 1. not very fun, 2. potentially dangerous depending the amount of luggage one has to carry ie keeping only 1 seat up, 3. assuming you put the 3rd in through the tailgate otherwise you have to remove one of the car seats in the middle row... 4. No dice with the entertainment system since it really is designed for the middle row.
All in all, I love the R class idea and concept but unfortunately for a family of five with young children it doesn't seem to be a good solution. Don't get me wrong I REALLY want to avoid buying a normal minivan and a solution away from a large SUV is nice too but right now the R class doesn't seem to fit my bill. Obviously I'll have to check it when the car is actually available to make up my mind.
Finally given the price point, I can't believe Merc hasn't fitted a Bluetooth phone interface in the car...
Sorry for the long post and thanks for your opinions!
C

PS: NevadaJack thanks for being such an active poster and keeping this forum up to date with tons of info!
Tough situation. I do not have children so can't really address the problems. I guess the best thing is too see one in the showroom and play with all the possibilities and see if one of them works. Without the optional rear center console there is a walk-thru option to the 3rd row between the 2nd row seats.

As far as BT, MB has been behind the pack for years in (new) electronic anything. By the time they include BT, a new wireless thing will be out and in most other cars.

BTW, you are welcome...:-)