Quality sucks in the New R Class

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 09:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
Originally Posted by mashimaro1985
I was invited by keyes over at Van nuys CA to see the R class and drive it, I think when I saw the car, yeah it looks nice and all that but when it came to the interior I think the quality is not there for that kinda money......

Thats what I think anyways. MERCEDES WAKE UP!!!! AND MAKE SOME improvements!!!! I hope the new s class is not like that. -_- so sad!
Obviously the cars interior is not going to be on par with a CL65 which is bathed in Nappa Leather on the dash, doors, seats, armrests, and the alcantra headliner. I think the R63 is going to be a might fine car.

Remember that the R along with the ML had to be designed to take more abuse given the market they are competing in. People who buy these cars want durable materials that arent going to fail.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:24 AM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by MB Fanatic
Why the **** are you comparing the old ML, which we all know, including DCX to the new R Class? Not very intelligent IMO.

Why not compare it to the new ML aka 164?
Try reading the previous posts, it may help.

The response from those defending the interior quality has been, "well, the magazine articles have been very positive." I bring up the ML because those same magazines were all raving about the ML320 when it first came out and they were wrong.

My point: Blow off the magazine articles and check it out for yourself. If you like it, buy it. If not, don't. But don't base your decision off of a magazine's opinion.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by MB Fanatic
Obviously the cars interior is not going to be on par with a CL65 which is bathed in Nappa Leather on the dash, doors, seats, armrests, and the alcantra headliner. I think the R63 is going to be a might fine car.

Remember that the R along with the ML had to be designed to take more abuse given the market they are competing in. People who buy these cars want durable materials that arent going to fail.
It's also not on par with other $65k and $70k SUV's and cars.

Last edited by G55K; 09-22-2005 at 11:52 AM.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MBs
Originally Posted by G55K
I bring up the ML because those same magazines were all raving about the ML320 when it first came out.
And I pointed out there were good reasons behind the rave reviews.

http://www.whnet.com/4x4/awa.html
Old 09-22-2005, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Wolfgang
And I pointed out there were good reasons behind the rave reviews.

http://www.whnet.com/4x4/awa.html
The ML320 was by far the worst vehicle that I have ever owned.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:15 PM

MBs
Originally Posted by G55K
The ML320 was by far the worst vehicle that I have ever owned.
And among the best I own, including some quirks and issues.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:55 PM
Almost a Member!

While waiting for service at my MB dealer this morning, I looked at the only R350 in the lot. It was locked. I couldn't get in because it was only 7AM and the sales staff have not arrived yet.

I really loved the way it looked. However, I was really turned off by the way the body panels were assembled. The right front passenger door does not line up straight with the fender. The rear bumper was high on the left and low on the right side.

The "R350" badge on the back is not aligned correctly. The "R" is tilted left at about 35-degree angle, while the 350 is perfectly straight.

For a $50000+ vehicle, those are not faults I can swallow.

By comparison, the new Honda Odyssey sitting on the other end of the dealer's lot looked really nice. Every piece of body panel lined up pefectly like they should be. (the dealer is also a Honda dealer)

What has MB been smoking? The R-Class commercial showed two old farts admiring the R-Class. I assume those are the founder of Daimler-Benz. I can only image how much they're turning in their graves...
Old 10-06-2005, 04:28 PM

2006 SLK350
Originally Posted by creamypanda
The R-Class commercial showed two old farts admiring the R-Class. I assume those are the founder of Daimler-Benz. I can only image how much they're turning in their graves...
Yes, the "old farts" I believe were supposed to have been Daimler and Benz. I suppose your rendition would have had them getting back into the Patent Motor Car and driving off...

I'm amused by marketing people. If they'd been paying attention to their own history, they would have known that Daimler would have been looking under the hood and marveling... not the passenger cabin.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:22 AM
MKW

08 GL450
Originally Posted by taroliw
Yes, the "old farts" I believe were supposed to have been Daimler and Benz.
Or they could have used two other " old farts " in the Daimler Chrysler TV ad " actors " pool : Lee Iococca and Snoop Dog.