R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

The R Class Market for "doubter's"

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 10-28-2005, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
The R Class Market for "doubter's"

Okay all you doubter's....read this article from the Detroit News and see why the R Class has a jump on the others. The "crossover" market is replacing the large SUV market and MB already has the R Class in a prime position to capture some of that market.

http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosins...C01-363980.htm

You better buy one now while you can get a good price because once they catch on there will be few discounts and "good deals" available. :p
Old 10-28-2005, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1967 Morris Cooper "S", 1983 911SC, 1997 Toyota Tacoma, 1999 HD FXSTB, 1998 C43
'R' Class

They're lame as hell looking...why should I follow the 'sheeple' ????
Old 10-28-2005, 03:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL600, 2011 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
You better buy one now while you can get a good price because once they catch on there will be few discounts and "good deals" available. :p
Your view would more tenable if you had followed through on buying the R rather than cancelling your order and buying an S.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1967 Morris Cooper "S", 1983 911SC, 1997 Toyota Tacoma, 1999 HD FXSTB, 1998 C43
Originally Posted by JackStraw
Your view would more tenable if you had followed through on buying the R rather than cancelling your order and buying an S.
Ouch!
Old 10-28-2005, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Jack...you read all of these threads and you know why I cancelled the R. It had nothing to do with any of the reasons cited by the doubter's but was a personal call by me based on personal reasons.

The S was not planned but a call from my dealer offering a good deal on a car I had always wanted to own. The R is still a fine car and should turn out to be a successful endeavor by MB to fill a market void.

BTW...the fact is that the R Class (a crossover) is ahead of the other makers who are frantic in trying to find something to make up for the loss of large and luxury SUV sales. The Detroit people (as well as all the other Luxury makers, foreign and domestic) must realize that MB has a leg up on them. There position perhaps is "more tenable" than mine since in your view I sold out on the R Class. I am enjoying my S430 and had I bought the R I would have been enjoying that also.

Enjoy your Odessey since it appears you are trying to justify to yourself that it is an equal to the R Class. Spend it Jack...you own a SL600 so money is not the problem.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by StapleGun
Ouch!
It takes a lot more than a comment by Jack to effect me...:-)

Hey if you don't like the R...that's fine. My point in posting the article was that the R Class concept is on track and if not the R, then some other makers design will be spelling the end to the stupid pickup truck conversions that have been passed off to the public as some kind of special vehicle. The SUV is a fad and it is coming to an end like all fads. Car makers who have been making big profits on leather lined converted pickups are now having to work and build a vehicle with some style and the ride of a car.

No "Ouch!" here...I love my S...:-)))))))
Old 10-28-2005, 09:53 PM

2006 ML350
Detroit News Article

There is not a mention of R-Class in the article and I do not see R-Class as a crossover. Even MB is not marketing R as a crossover vehicle. but as a Grand Sports Tourer.

There is no point in forcing anyone or suggesting them to buy a 80,000 vehicle on the public forums. Person who is going to buy this vehicle will buy irrespective whether any particular person recommends it or not.

These forums is only for information gathering and not getting swayed by someones opinion. If someone changes their opinion of buying any MB leave R-Class has some serious issues. One can just collect some information available on forums , get educated , and make a decision that best suits him/her and family.

This R-Class forum is getting childish and does not provide any real value.

Enough said.... I am going to take a long drive on my new 06 ML... Enjoy your vehicles whether it is MB or non-MB , S-Class or C-Class.

__________________________________________________ _______________
Following is the Detroit News article

WARREN -- General Motors Corp. is aiming to double the number of more fuel-efficient crossover vehicles in its lineup by 2010, including the possible introduction of its first small Cadillac model in the segment.

Crossover vehicles, which marry the ride and styling of passenger cars with the functionality of SUVs, are the fastest growing segment in the U.S. market.

While GM was slow to enter the segment popularized by the Lexus RX330, Honda CR-V, Chrysler PT Cruiser and others, the automaker plans to make up for lost time with a blitz of new models to be sold under the Buick, Saturn, GMC and Chevrolet nameplates.

"It's a crossover world, and we're just living in it," GM Vice Chairman Bob Lutz said during a media briefing Thursday at the automaker's technical center.

Lutz said that GM would grow its crossover lineup from seven entries to 14 in the next four years.

With U.S. sales of crossovers expected to grow from 2.5 million this year to 3.5 million by 2010, GM expects the segment to take up the slack from shrinking sales of medium and large SUVs.

GM has about 14 percent of the crossover market, but expects to cultivate that share considerably with the new models.

"We're shooting for 20 percent (market share) by the end of the decade," said Ron Pniewski, GM's vice president of global portfolio planning.

One possible addition to its lineup is a small, futuristic-looking crossover from Cadillac, the automaker's top luxury brand.

Three of the planned crossover vehicles -- the Saturn Outlook, GMC Acadia, and Buick Enclave -- will be assembled at GM's Delta Township assembly plant under construction near Lansing.

Lutz said the new crossovers will primarily be powered by fuel efficient 4-cylinder or 6-cylinder engines, but added each "will be compatible" with versions of the company's hybrid gas-electric system under development.

GM's North American automotive board recently "made a substantial increase" in its expectations for hybrid sales in the future, Lutz said.

He added that GM is committed to building up to 1 million hybrids annually "if the demand exists."

The crossover market has exploded in recent years, and includes everything from the Chrysler PT Cruiser, Chevrolet HHR, Toyota Matrix and Pontiac Vibe to the larger Cadillac SRX, Nissan Murano and Ford Freestyle.

"Americans are falling for crossovers," said Jim Hall, an industry analyst for AutoPacific.

"Consumers want the versatility of an SUV but they want better fuel economy and a car-like ride. Many of the planned models have the potential to offer better fuel economy."

Audi, Acura, Hyundai, Ford, Jeep, Lincoln and DaimlerChrysler AG's Dodge brand are targeting the crossover market, too, with new models to boost sales.

The Acura RDX, based on the small Honda CR-V and Element platform, will go on sale next year and give Honda's luxury performance brand another crossover/SUV in addition to the MDX.

Next year, Dodge will introduce the Caliber, a wagon/small crossover replacement for the Neon.

With the addition of the Caliber and Nitro, a Jeep Liberty derivative, Dodge's SUV/crossover lineup will grow from one -- the Durango -- to three.

The five-door compact Caliber could benefit from the shift to crossovers because of its styling, said Jeff Schuster of J.D. Power and Associates.

"From our perspective, it has some of the characteristics of a crossover," said Schuster, pointing to the vehicle's hatchback and unibody frame.

Dodge is counting on the Caliber's hatchback design to have enough global appeal to be sold in markets outside the United States.

Jon Myers, a Naples, Fla., Dodge dealer and chairman of the national Dodge dealer council, said dealers are thrilled about the new products.

The Caliber falls into a completely new segment, he said.

"We tried to see what's out there like it, but there really isn't anything like it. It's that unique of a vehicle," said Myers, adding a small SUV like the Nitro was absent in Dodge's truck and minivan-dominated product lineup.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by firstmbml350
There is not a mention of R-Class in the article and I do not see R-Class as a crossover. Even MB is not marketing R as a crossover vehicle. but as a Grand Sports Tourer.

There is no point in forcing anyone or suggesting them to buy a 80,000 vehicle on the public forums. Person who is going to buy this vehicle will buy irrespective whether any particular person recommends it or not.

These forums is only for information gathering and not getting swayed by someones opinion. If someone changes their opinion of buying any MB leave R-Class has some serious issues. One can just collect some information available on forums , get educated , and make a decision that best suits him/her and family.

This R-Class forum is getting childish and does not provide any real value.

Enough said.... I am going to take a long drive on my new 06 ML... Enjoy your vehicles whether it is MB or non-MB , S-Class or C-Class.

__________________________________________________ _______________
Following is the Detroit News article

WARREN -- General Motors Corp. is aiming to double the number of more fuel-efficient crossover vehicles in its lineup by 2010, including the possible introduction of its first small Cadillac model in the segment.

Crossover vehicles, which marry the ride and styling of passenger cars with the functionality of SUVs, are the fastest growing segment in the U.S. market.

While GM was slow to enter the segment popularized by the Lexus RX330, Honda CR-V, Chrysler PT Cruiser and others, the automaker plans to make up for lost time with a blitz of new models to be sold under the Buick, Saturn, GMC and Chevrolet nameplates.

"It's a crossover world, and we're just living in it," GM Vice Chairman Bob Lutz said during a media briefing Thursday at the automaker's technical center.

Lutz said that GM would grow its crossover lineup from seven entries to 14 in the next four years.

With U.S. sales of crossovers expected to grow from 2.5 million this year to 3.5 million by 2010, GM expects the segment to take up the slack from shrinking sales of medium and large SUVs.

GM has about 14 percent of the crossover market, but expects to cultivate that share considerably with the new models.

"We're shooting for 20 percent (market share) by the end of the decade," said Ron Pniewski, GM's vice president of global portfolio planning.

One possible addition to its lineup is a small, futuristic-looking crossover from Cadillac, the automaker's top luxury brand.

Three of the planned crossover vehicles -- the Saturn Outlook, GMC Acadia, and Buick Enclave -- will be assembled at GM's Delta Township assembly plant under construction near Lansing.

Lutz said the new crossovers will primarily be powered by fuel efficient 4-cylinder or 6-cylinder engines, but added each "will be compatible" with versions of the company's hybrid gas-electric system under development.

GM's North American automotive board recently "made a substantial increase" in its expectations for hybrid sales in the future, Lutz said.

He added that GM is committed to building up to 1 million hybrids annually "if the demand exists."

The crossover market has exploded in recent years, and includes everything from the Chrysler PT Cruiser, Chevrolet HHR, Toyota Matrix and Pontiac Vibe to the larger Cadillac SRX, Nissan Murano and Ford Freestyle.

"Americans are falling for crossovers," said Jim Hall, an industry analyst for AutoPacific.

"Consumers want the versatility of an SUV but they want better fuel economy and a car-like ride. Many of the planned models have the potential to offer better fuel economy."

Audi, Acura, Hyundai, Ford, Jeep, Lincoln and DaimlerChrysler AG's Dodge brand are targeting the crossover market, too, with new models to boost sales.

The Acura RDX, based on the small Honda CR-V and Element platform, will go on sale next year and give Honda's luxury performance brand another crossover/SUV in addition to the MDX.

Next year, Dodge will introduce the Caliber, a wagon/small crossover replacement for the Neon.

With the addition of the Caliber and Nitro, a Jeep Liberty derivative, Dodge's SUV/crossover lineup will grow from one -- the Durango -- to three.

The five-door compact Caliber could benefit from the shift to crossovers because of its styling, said Jeff Schuster of J.D. Power and Associates.

"From our perspective, it has some of the characteristics of a crossover," said Schuster, pointing to the vehicle's hatchback and unibody frame.

Dodge is counting on the Caliber's hatchback design to have enough global appeal to be sold in markets outside the United States.

Jon Myers, a Naples, Fla., Dodge dealer and chairman of the national Dodge dealer council, said dealers are thrilled about the new products.

The Caliber falls into a completely new segment, he said.

"We tried to see what's out there like it, but there really isn't anything like it. It's that unique of a vehicle," said Myers, adding a small SUV like the Nitro was absent in Dodge's truck and minivan-dominated product lineup.
Read the second line in the article...if that is not the definition of a R Class I don't know what is.

The point I was trying to make is that the large truck type SUV's are losing favor and the "crossover" vehicles (such as the R Class) are gaining popularity. As far as convincing someone to buy a R, the thrust of this forum since I started it has been to bash and discourage purchase of the car. It will stand on it's own two feet once the public learns about it. Whether they want to pay $50-75,000 for it is another question.

The problem with the R Class forum is that there are not enough owners yet to make an impact on the input to the forum.
Old 10-29-2005, 12:09 AM

2006 ML350
Read the second line in the article...if that is not the definition of a R Class I don't know what is.

The point I was trying to make is that the large truck type SUV's are losing favor and the "crossover" vehicles (such as the R Class) are gaining popularity. As far as convincing someone to buy a R, the thrust of this forum since I started it has been to bash and discourage purchase of the car. It will stand on it's own two feet once the public learns about it. Whether they want to pay $50-75,000 for it is another question.

The problem with the R Class forum is that there are not enough owners yet to make an impact on the input to the forum.
Definition of crossover is very broad, it can be a vehicle that can haul 5 passengers or 6-7 passengers based on a car platform. In the article there was a mention of all kind of vehicles with names but nothing about MB, or R-Class.

What you are saying is correct, and the article points that correctly, that crossover is the next big thing but person buying MB does not care about those monikers Crossover, Sports Activity Vehicle, RFK, Space Concept... They will buy MB for its merit, performance and prestige.

On other note, Did you guys see the new 2007 S-Class pictures posted by JimmyG in W221 forum.. Now thats the car worth arguing/fighting, its one of the best looking MB, along with my new redesigned 2006 ML,

Last edited by firstmbml350; 10-29-2005 at 12:13 AM.
Old 10-29-2005, 12:18 AM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Definition of crossover is very broad, it can be a vehicle that can haul 5 passengers or 6-7 passengers based on a car platform. In the article there was a mention of all kind of vehicles with names but nothing about MB, or R-Class.

What you are saying is correct, and the article points that correctly, that crossover is the next big thing but person buying MB does not care about those monikers Crossover, Sports Activity Vehicle, RFK, Space Concept... They will buy MB for its merit, performance and prestige.

On other note, Did you guys see the new 2007 S-Class pictures posted by JimmyG in W221 forum.. Now thats the car worth arguing/fighting, its one of the best looking MB, along with my new redesigned 2006 ML,
The new S looks really nice. I'm also looking forward to the ML63. Mercedes did a great job with the new ML's.
Old 10-29-2005, 01:18 AM
MKW

08 GL450
Like the ML, I'm afraid, the R class is blazing the luxury crossover 6 seater trail and setting the table for the BMW and Lexus versions that we have seen in spy pics. I suspect the BMW will handle better and the Lexus will eat both for lunch in fit and finish . We are the " late forming " family ( 50 years old with 1st and 6th grader ) that is MBZs target R class demographic . The final decision for the purchase of these " practical " 5000 pounders will probably be made by the wives who will be the driver 90% of the time . It's a whole different game vs like- priced luxo " manly " SUVs , like RR, Cayenne , although I see the 7 seater Audi Q7 SUV seriously picking off some intenders of each type of vehicle.
In fact, that is why we walked away from the R class . Wifey saw pics of the interior of the Q7 and said that looks like a 65K car, not the R .
Old 10-29-2005, 02:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL600, 2011 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite
Jack...you read all of these threads and you know why I cancelled the R. It had nothing to do with any of the reasons cited by the doubter's but was a personal call by me based on personal reasons.

The S was not planned but a call from my dealer offering a good deal on a car I had always wanted to own. The R is still a fine car and should turn out to be a successful endeavor by MB to fill a market void.

BTW...the fact is that the R Class (a crossover) is ahead of the other makers who are frantic in trying to find something to make up for the loss of large and luxury SUV sales. The Detroit people (as well as all the other Luxury makers, foreign and domestic) must realize that MB has a leg up on them. There position perhaps is "more tenable" than mine since in your view I sold out on the R Class. I am enjoying my S430 and had I bought the R I would have been enjoying that also.

Enjoy your Odessey since it appears you are trying to justify to yourself that it is an equal to the R Class. Spend it Jack...you own a SL600 so money is not the problem.

Where to begin?

I never meant to imply that you "sold out" on the R-Class, you just made a rational and practical decision to buy the S, regardless of your motivation. If I did not need to haul around 6 people, the S would be the logical choice for me as well.

You are right, money is not the issue. I for one thought that the R would be priced higher than it was. I have no complaints about the interior either, I think it is fine.

My only beef with the R is that it is an "either/ or" vehicle. Either you can seat 6 for a short jaunt, or you can seat 4 and their luggage by folding down the rear seats. You can't seat 6 and any meaningful amount of luggage. This doesn't work for me. I already have one impractical car, I don't need another.

I don't need to convince myself about the Odyssey, I already own one. When I put my deposit down for the R (then called Vision GST) in 2002, it was because I wanted something more powerful and more luxurious than my Odyssey. Needless to say, I am a bit disappointed that the R is not suitable for me. I am now holding out hope that the GL will offer comfortable seating for 6 or 7 AND room for luggage.

If not, it will likely be a new Odyssey Touring in my future. And I do stand behind my earlier pronouncement that dollar for dollar it is hard to beat the Odyssey Touring.

Last edited by JackStraw; 10-29-2005 at 03:01 PM.
Old 10-29-2005, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Where to begin?

I never meant to imply that you "sold out" on the R-Class, you just made a rational and practical decision to buy the S, regardless of your motivation. If I did not need to haul around 6 people, the S would be the logical choice for me as well.

You are right, money is not the issue. I for one thought that the R would be priced higher than it was. I have no complaints about the interior either, I think it is fine.

My only beef with the R is that it is an "either/ or" vehicle. Either you can seat 6 for a short jaunt, or you can seat 4 and their luggage by folding down the rear seats. You can't seat 6 and any meaningful amount of luggage. This doesn't work for me. I already have one impractical car, I don't need another.

I don't need to convince myself about the Odyssey, I already own one. When I put my deposit down for the R (then called Vision GST) in 2002, it was because I wanted something more powerful and more luxurious than my Odyssey. Needless to say, I am a bit disappointed that the R is not suitable for me. I am now holding out hope that the GL will offer comfortable seating for 6 or 7 AND room for luggage.

If not, it will likely be a new Odyssey Touring in my future. And I do stand behind my earlier pronouncement that dollar for dollar it is hard to beat the Odyssey Touring.
I fully understand where you are coming from Jack. You (like me) were on top of the R Class from the get-go and it looks like neither one of us will end up with one...:-)

The new GL may be your answer...the size of the R but with a more utilitarian layout instead of a "niche" layout. I think many felt the R would be a "minivan" and provide them the functions of the minivan but that is not the case.

From a personal standpoint I am glad I chose the S. I could not be happier, although I miss the bi-xenon's, the Logic 7 (BOSE is good but the HK was better in my E320) and the iPOD connection, all available in the R. But that is the price you pay for buying an earlier desgined car. The new S has some great features but I am totally turned off by the "fender flares."
Old 10-29-2005, 06:22 PM

2006 ML350
Time to stop this discussion and start a new thread. Would love to hear some opinions and driving experience from the real owners of R-Class. Now that would be cool
Old 10-29-2005, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Time to stop this discussion and start a new thread. Would love to hear some opinions and driving experience from the real owners of R-Class. Now that would be cool
All you have to do is open a New Topic and wait for some responses. Based on past history, it may be awhile until this Forum becomes a busy one....:-)
Old 10-29-2005, 07:11 PM

2006 ML350
Thats true, but the other one is dead too. First there are not enough R-Class drivers out there and even if they have it they might not be "smart" enough as we all to log in to these forums and post their experiences.

They will surely come to these forums once they start getting problems...
Old 10-29-2005, 11:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Porsche
What's an R-class?
Eric...
Old 10-30-2005, 12:03 AM
MKW

08 GL450
... there are not enough R-Class drivers out there and even if they have it they might not be "smart" enough as we all to log in to these forums and post their experiences.

MBWorld is , like most German marque message boards, fairly testosterone fueled . R-Class is MBZ's most soccermom and " girrrly-mahn " car as our Governator would say .
Old 10-30-2005, 01:54 AM

its a minivan w/o the sliding door a blind man can even see that....
Old 10-30-2005, 02:15 AM
Almost a Member!

I'm not a owner but I've put countless miles on R-class's. I've never driven a car that was as comfortable to just site in and go. The 500's are everything you could ask for, comfortable cruise or rip the road. I will also say the R gets noticed EVERYWHERE it goes. People "doubt" the market, but it is there, we can't produce them fast enough. Yes, it's a new breed from MB, but I can remember when people said there was no market for a luxury suv and look what MB did with the M-Class.
Old 10-30-2005, 12:49 PM
MKW

08 GL450
Originally Posted by whynot
I'm not a owner but I've put countless miles on R-class's. I've never driven a car that was as comfortable to just site in and go. The 500's are everything you could ask for, comfortable cruise or rip the road. I will also say the R gets noticed EVERYWHERE it goes. People "doubt" the market, but it is there, we can't produce them fast enough. Yes, it's a new breed from MB, but I can remember when people said there was no market for a luxury suv and look what MB did with the M-Class.

You confirm what I've said.. the car is a comfy , soul-less "mommy drive" - like piloting a Honda Oddysey ,etc. . You obviously work for MBZ where they build these things in Alabama . Were you personally involved in building ( or even worse, engineering or managing ) those great rattle free , trouble free first MLs back in '97 , too? The vehicle that kickstarted MBZs embarrassing plunge in consumer satisfaction not to mention turn the previously quiet and dignified MBZ service dept into something busier than a Chevy dealership ? :p :p :p

Last edited by MKW; 10-30-2005 at 12:52 PM.