R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Q7 v R

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2006 | 04:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 CLK 320
Q7 v R

A bit off topic, perhaps, but I got a chance to drive a brand new Audi Q7 yesterday and I was impressed. It is definately the nicest "truck" I have driven, and I think I have driven most of them at one time or the other, though not the new ML or GL. Nice tight ride, well controlled, and firm. The R is a bit softer, I think, as it should be. Nicely weighted steering and excellent acceleration. Gotta be a gas hog, though. It is one brute of a truck.

While I love my R and realize that they are different vehicles, I must say that the materials and execution of the Q7 interior is superior, IMO. Also liked the Audi MMI interface. The interior space and flexibility of the R is better; the R feels more spacious, overall. The second row of the Q didn't impress me as being overly commodious, in comparison.
Old 06-29-2006 | 10:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
My sentiments exactly. The R can be had for much cheaper too so it makes it a even better buy.
Old 07-04-2006 | 06:17 PM

Mercedes all the way!
quite mirrors june 2006's 4x4 magazine (UK) comparison between the Q7 and R. the R was said to handle AND ride better (remember, this is the european version), be bigger and more versatile, and with a better engine/gearbox combination and lower fuel consumption.

yet they preferred the Q overall because of what i thought was a rather hazy category of "surprise and delight", which managed to push it above the R despite the earlier advantages. i don't agree with them, but there you have it.
Old 07-11-2006 | 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 ML320; 2005 Audi A6; 2006 Honda Pilot
Originally Posted by albellenchia
A bit off topic, perhaps, but I got a chance to drive a brand new Audi Q7 yesterday and I was impressed. It is definately the nicest "truck" I have driven, and I think I have driven most of them at one time or the other, though not the new ML or GL. Nice tight ride, well controlled, and firm. The R is a bit softer, I think, as it should be. Nicely weighted steering and excellent acceleration. Gotta be a gas hog, though. It is one brute of a truck.

While I love my R and realize that they are different vehicles, I must say that the materials and execution of the Q7 interior is superior, IMO. Also liked the Audi MMI interface. The interior space and flexibility of the R is better; the R feels more spacious, overall. The second row of the Q didn't impress me as being overly commodious, in comparison.
I have not driven the Q7 yet, but I checked out the interior. It is nice, but it looks like they cut costs a little over my A6's interior in order to keep it priced competitively. The 3rd row is quite small too, at least compared to the R and the GL.
Old 07-11-2006 | 09:16 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by MB Fanatic
My sentiments exactly. The R can be had for much cheaper too so it makes it a even better buy.
Inexpensive doesn't always mean good

The W251 still had lots of external issues that need to be sorted out; specifically dealer service.

We'll see how the Q7's externals are, but seeing how the nearest Audi dealer is out of the way, I don't see one coming into the family anytime soon.
Old 07-11-2006 | 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
link

Could you post a link to the article from june 2006's 4x4 magazine (UK) about Q7 and R