R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Exterior styling for the R?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2007 | 03:51 AM

CLS 500
Exterior styling for the R?

OK, I don't want to sound like a heretic on this forum, however I'm having trouble. My wife loves the interior of the R500 but we're both a bit challenged by the exterior styling.

We're tempted to just buy a GL, but it sits much higher and actually feels less roomy.

Has anybody actually seen any stylng mods on an R that look good? The New AMG R and even the Brabus R still give me the Chrylser Minivan shivers.
Old 01-25-2007 | 05:27 PM

I just think of it as basically unattractive and figured if it looked much better it would be more popular and cost more money. I do wish it were a bit higher off the ground.

I went to the dealer expecting to love the GL and was very unimpressed with the rear interior finish and the comfort and space in the 3rd row. I think it comes down to how much you'll use the way back. I should be keeping a van and will use it all the time so the awkward entry to the rear of the GL doesn't work for me, but the GL is much more attractive.

good luck
Old 01-25-2007 | 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
the R-class looks really good if you get it in Black R500 with the chrome trim on the window. Also if you get it with the 19 inch 5 spoke wheels it looks excellent.
Old 01-27-2007 | 09:24 AM

It will grow on you!

Picked up an 07 R350 in white with the pano roof in October 06. Neither my wife nor myself were crazy on the stlyling of this car, but I am now catching myself admiring it. At some angles, it is attractive. However, forget about the looks. You will be inside and reaally don't have to look at it.

The fact is that this is the most PRACTICAL car I have ever owned. It accomodates 6 adults in comfort and has plenty of room for hauling cargo.
Old 01-27-2007 | 03:03 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 clk320
you will get alot of stares in the r.
it is ALOT more comfortable than the GL
i'm 6 feet tall, and i fit comfortably in the last row of the R-class.

but to answer your question... i havent seen and exterior mods.
Old 01-30-2007 | 09:41 PM

White R w/Black Grill

I agree that the R is great on the inside and I even think it looks pretty good from about every angle but the front. I think that if they had used less dopey looking headlights it would have made it much better. Something more like the CLS or make the lights that it has all one piece. Since my R is white and I have a pano roof and 20% tint I decided to paint my grill and bumper inserts black. I think that is made the front look lower and wider. All I need now are some 20in OZ 5-spoke wheels...

My ideal replacement for my R would be GL420 CDI with 6 passenger seating like the R and a pano roof.