R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Any of you experince any transmission issues?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12 E550
Any of you experince any transmission issues?

I have a new R320 CDI. It is 2500 miles and I am experiencing some tranny issues. First of all when you accelerate there is always a little jerk between 1 and 2 gear sometimes between 2nd and 3d. It is very little almost can pass as normal. After that it is like butter. I decided to try shifting with the steering wheel shifters and keep the car on 1st longer. About 1800 rpm I experience a sudden surge of power and as if as the car is about to downshift but then continues on 1st gear. What is up with that? I also experience a bit of clunking noise in slow moving traffic 15-20 mph if you lift you foot off the accelerator and then reapply it. It almost feels like a clutch that was released too quickly. I brought the car to the dealer and they did a software update and said that they fixed the issue but I think it is even worst than before. Reading some old post I see that many other models experince similar issues. Any feedback will be highly appreciated.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Originally Posted by mitaka
I have a new R320 CDI. It is 2500 miles and I am experiencing some tranny issues. First of all when you accelerate there is always a little jerk between 1 and 2 gear sometimes between 2nd and 3d. It is very little almost can pass as normal. After that it is like butter. I decided to try shifting with the steering wheel shifters and keep the car on 1st longer. About 1800 rpm I experience a sudden surge of power and as if as the car is about to downshift but then continues on 1st gear. What is up with that? I also experience a bit of clunking noise in slow moving traffic 15-20 mph if you lift you foot off the accelerator and then reapply it. It almost feels like a clutch that was released too quickly. I brought the car to the dealer and they did a software update and said that they fixed the issue but I think it is even worst than before. Reading some old post I see that many other models experince similar issues. Any feedback will be highly appreciated.

This is a "characteristic" of all 722.9 transmissions across the MB line. Try putting the transmission in "C" mode (not the suspension if equipped with airmatic) and see if it goes away. I bet it does.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:06 PM

12 E550
Thanks
Old 07-25-2007, 03:50 PM

2007 R320
Originally Posted by mitaka
Thanks
Transmission lurking, jerking, roughing . . . are usually experienced by R350, R320, ML Class and GL CLass. You need to bring your car in for transmission software adaptation and/or readaptation. It may take a few tries to get it corrected. I brought my car in 2 times at 800 miles and at 2,000 miles. Some owners would still experience the rough shiftings following the services. You need to drive your car a couple hundred miles or more for it to smooth out following the software adaptation updates. I did experience rougher shiftings when I first got my car back but soon it all went away and now the car drives smooth as "silk", in either C or S shifting modes.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:00 PM

12 E550
You are right it is getting better with thime after software update and even better in C mode. Thanks