R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

R class (specifically 2006) reliability?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
n/a
R class (specifically 2006) reliability?

As with others on this board, I've found that there are excellent deals to be had on 2006 R class lease returns.

My wife and I really do love the R-class, but having never owned a MB we aren't sure about the reliability. We've owned BMWs and Volvos with very little reliability problems, despite the general public's fear of Euro cars.

Can those of you who own 06's speak up with any issues you've had, specifically ones that might have left you stranded or would be considered "major problems?" (i.e. transmission, electrical, etc) Not too concerned about rattles or trim piece issues.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:28 PM

2006 R350
We have had our R for 24 months now. Only problem that kept the car from starting was a dead battery, but that's will happen to any car. Fortunatley ours died in the garage. The amazing thing was when you call MB roadside you don't get bob the tow truck guy to come jumpstart you, a guy from the local dealer rolls up in his ML350, jumpstarts us, calls the dealer that we'll be coming and we got a loaner when we got there.

Other problems that required unscheduled trips on ours were two airbag fault lights and a coolant leak.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:42 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
S320 GL350
No foreseeable probs with my '06

... I know I know I too have read the literature. I think you have to balance the few good reports with the negative ones who expect a Rolls Royce just because of the MB logo/name and relatively high retail price. (Whiners). In today's dollars it's an inexpensive bargain, even at 70K Cdn. Best report (C&D) states ... "MB just doesn't do anything as mundane as minivans. Sexier than most SUVs, this stylish wagon performs well and has all the luxo stuff one expects... sexy blend of panache and utility...be careful when cruising the long list of optional temptations ... sensuous curves, sumptuous interior ... superb trans ... smooth V-6..seductive Euro ride"

I have only minor repair items and remain very pleased, still receiving complements about it's unique wedge-shaped appearance:

a) Corrected alignment of rubber strip on driver's door with adhesive
b) Warranty replacement of rear Pano-Roof glider arm
c) Auto-up function of driver's power window repaired itself after 2 days!
d) Temp dial for heater skips sometimes without changing temp. Hold your jaw right (actually the dial).
e) Wear indicator now squeaking on a brake - no rotor wear yet.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:53 PM

R350
I bought CPO '06 R350 with 26500 miles on it three months ago. So far there were no major issues except for the some annoying rattle noise. One minor problem was with the a/c temp dial skipping temp setting, which was fixed with a simple software upgrade.

-overland
Old 10-17-2008, 10:07 PM

R500
Wow. Two other people have that A/C dial skipping problem. I thought it was just me. My '06 R500 is still under warranty but I hate to take it in for such a minor issue. I been waiting for a second issue to make the trip worthwhile, but so far...Nothing
Old 10-25-2008, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
There are two perspectives on these problems, both of them true:

1. They are minor problems

2. But nearly all problems with nearly new cars are minor these days, and this is a fairly high number.

In other words, if you can live with a few minor problems, you'll be okay with the R, or just about anything else these days.

If you expect to not have to repair anything at all, you'll be less happy.

I'd like to be able to provide more specific info, but not enough R's in TrueDelta's research yet.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:13 PM

R350 4-matic
So far no real problems, other than dealing with service people. But even then, one quick conversation w/ the Master Technician and *poof* situation solved.

I have owned the car for 1 year now, and put over 17,000 miles on it. I have never had any problems other than getting out of the car after long drives...(nothing else is as comfortable) and if I had to complain about something it would be the lack of a back-up camera and the costs to add options to the model.

I absolutely love the car and makes hauling the kids, getting groceries and running errands a breeeze.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:27 PM

I am having transmission issues on my 2006 R350. It has 20000 miles on it. It has been in the shop once and they replaced the valve body and ran new software. It still is terrible. It is in the shop again.

The windshield wipers quit in the rain not long ago, and to repair the dealership accidentally broke my windshield. I hear wind noises at 60-70mph.

Rubber seal disintegrated around one window.

It also has major noise issues. The dealer has located and repaired rattles in all five doors. And there are more noises now in all doors and in the sunroof as well. Also the rear seats make a vibrating noise when I go over a bump.

I am not impressed. My car has been in the shop for days. I love the concept and appearance of this car. But it is not the same quality as my two CLS's.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:48 AM

Got a 2006 R500 last year with 20,000 miles. Have put on another 24,000 with multiple trips to Maine (about 8 hours each way) and have not had any problems. (We did have to replace the passenger side rear door, but that was because my wife managed hit a concrete post.) Came from a 2004 Range Rover, and have to say that reliability has been stellar, especially considering where I was coming from. No regrets from us.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 203 Likes on 181 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
It depends on how you define reliability.

If to you it means ignoring your car, then Mercedes isn't for you.

Mercedes is a car that thrives on regular maintenance performed by trained professionals and a car that reacts poorly when it doesn't get it.

It's a car worthy of not being ignored, as well, unlike the "appliances" that become so obsolete in so many ways so quickly.

Just understand that a Mercedes is more like a Ferrari than like a Toyota.

A Ferrari owner knows what to expect, is prepared to pay for it, and is seldom disappointed.

Probably none of those traits is seen in Toyota owners.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:59 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
BMW 340i xDrive 2018 MMPSK silver , Cadillac XT5 2018 silver, 09 R320 BT
One of my partners has had his 06 R350 since Feb 06 from new. He has had some issues with recurring burnt tail lamps, dead battery issues, changed alternator once and battery once all under warranty. He's recently had the old "check engine light" and has had a sensor changed (I forgot which one). He's had an overall great experience, so much so, that his lease is coming up in Feb 09, and he is planning on getting the '09 R320 Bluetec.

As far as serious issues are concerned, he hasn't had anything major, safe for the alternator. Just a few electrical gremlins which were finally resolved.