R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

2006 R500 driving impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R500
Originally Posted by Anthrassat
www.adjustableairride.com $300 + shipping. Simply pop off the stockies and adjust these to your desired height. total install time is about 20 minutes for all 4. This is based on you having a full airmatic setup. If not, H&R seems to be the way to go.
Did you install these yourself?
Old 12-05-2008, 12:24 PM

2006 R500 (w251)
Originally Posted by ct_r500
Did you install these yourself?
Yup, simple install.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:59 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
S320 GL350
best I've seen...

Nice to know there are some smart people stlil around, your DVD install is exactly what I'd do, given the time and extra cash. I'm also looking for a set of those AMG wheels-factory knows best you know. I'd bet you get lots of comments about the R now that you've lowered it. I did come across one other R that utilized some sort of anthro-steel brackets for mounting lcd screens behind both front seats in a removable and non-invasive fashion, and would love to find out how adaptable the new '09 screens are to the '06. They appear to be touch screens and are also seperate and "stand off" from the headrests.

The only other solution I had that could work was Sony's new portable DVD player (black letter box) that opens, rotates 180 degrees, and folds again on top of its base, with base-sized battery attached to the base, including remote and speakers and controls front facing, that could be adapted to the headrest.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:44 AM

2006 R500 (w251)
Originally Posted by rosswell
Nice to know there are some smart people stlil around, your DVD install is exactly what I'd do, given the time and extra cash. I'm also looking for a set of those AMG wheels-factory knows best you know. I'd bet you get lots of comments about the R now that you've lowered it. I did come across one other R that utilized some sort of anthro-steel brackets for mounting lcd screens behind both front seats in a removable and non-invasive fashion, and would love to find out how adaptable the new '09 screens are to the '06. They appear to be touch screens and are also seperate and "stand off" from the headrests.

The only other solution I had that could work was Sony's new portable DVD player (black letter box) that opens, rotates 180 degrees, and folds again on top of its base, with base-sized battery attached to the base, including remote and speakers and controls front facing, that could be adapted to the headrest.
Those "mounts" that you are describing are what the factory will use for the Vizualogic screens that mount to the adaptive headrests. As mentioned above, this was an option but didn't look "factory" to me and I didn't want my kids banging into them when they got in and out of the car. I opted to go with a full replacement which I couldn't be happier with. As for the '09 retrofit, I'm sure this can be done. It's not difficult to mod those things to make them fit. Your ideas on the Sony would definitely work, however, if you want to play it through the main system it would be limiting. 90% of the time my kids watch it with the headphones but at times (just last night) they had a couple friends over and when we were taking them home it was nice to pop in a flick and let the listen to it throughout the system. In reality it's personal choice as to what the listening habits of your passengers will be. I will say, the vizualogic screens have a fantastic picture and I'd highly recommend them to anyone. They are pricey but well worth it. The second DVD has proven to be a HUGE advantage. Never really thought it would but with two boys and a 4 year age gap they do sometimes want to watch different things and this has eliminated several "battle royale's" in the back seat

As for the wheels, yes I LOVE keeping the clean euro look. I do wish the AMG's were a bit bigger but it does have a killer stance now that she is dropped a bit. It's really funny how many compliments a "mini van" gets. I've had several people come up to me wondering what it is. There is also something very cool having a vehicle that stock and over 6K lbs can walk away from much smaller cars on the highway. Couple that with the fact that Brabus has a full engine treatment turning this thing into a family rocket makes it even that more enjoyable. That is my next project, getting my wife to allow me to touch the engine. The Brabus SC would look nice sitting under our xmas tree this year

Last edited by Anthrassat; 12-06-2008 at 09:22 AM.