R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

R, GL or Volvo XC90

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 01:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
interesting observation...i think you'll need to drive the cars to get a complete pix.
i don't think anyone here cares if you decided to get volvo or mb, but i'm not sure hwat you mean by "tidy" - my word was "tiny" when i was in it.
as for disappointment w/ quality having owned w124, w210, w211...i'm puzzled. i've similarly owned 2 of the 3 that you mentioned, and also an s55. overall, i'm VERY pleased w/ the R interior quality, esp vs. current w211 E and C-class.
that said, the fact that i got a CPO 7 yrs/100k total miles R500 that's was $70k msrp for $27k, that might have influenced why my expectations have been exceeded vs. your $62k and $57k expectatations for the new GL/R's. good luck.
Patrick
Old 02-09-2009, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 CLK500; 07 Volvo XC90
i didn't say i was disappointed with the quality. i thought the material is very nice. it is just the way it was executed. my example was the dvd system. for both cars too be so big but not enough room for stuff.

yes, i do mean the volvo was tiny (not tidy).

i would have bought a used r-class (used '06 is going around 33-36k in my area) but i need a 7-seater and r-class didn't have one until 2008 model year. there are no used 2008 yet in my area. the used gl is still going for more than 45k.

i will drive them and maybe change my mind then.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:29 PM

R350 | X1 | Cayenne
Pssst!

Originally Posted by thegeneraltso
I went to the auto show today and I can truly say that I am really disappointed with the R and GL class. I have owned the W124, W210 and W211 E-classes for the last 20 years so I have some expectation.

The GL is a huge vehicle but then it didn't have enough 'trunk' space with the third row in use. The material is nice but I cannot justify buying a brand new one for around $63k! Even the used one can be had for around $47k in my area.

The most disappointed one was the R-class. I had so much hope since I love the look of it when I saw it on the streets. The 7th seat was really a joke! They could have make the outer seats a little smaller to accommodate a bigger middle seat. I had my 9 years old sitting there and we had a hard time finding the buckle because it was behind her. The DVD screens were another joke. They seem to be lifted right out of a Walmart catalog. I don't mean the quality of the product but just the way they were mounted. It was not well integrated at all. Again the price is too high for that car. It was listed for $57k!

The Volvo was tidy. The middle row seats were of the same size and the middle one even had the built-in booster. I was unable to adjust any of the seats because the battery was unplugged and the front seats were push all the way back. Its price seems to be the most reasonable... $45k.

Will have to go down and drive them to see how they drive ... but I am leaning away from the R- and GL-class for now. Sorry folks but thanks for all your inputs.
Forget about the list price. If you're not in a hurry, you can wait for MB to come up with its incentives again. I'm pretty sure another one is coming especially how bad a market it is nowadays. There has been $12K trunk money that has been going on and off since summer of last year. With that, you can buy one for $15K off the list price.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 GL450, '06 R500 traded, '08 ML350 sold

i will drive them and maybe change my mind then.
Please share your observations after you drive both (MB and Volvo). I drove the XC90 when I was shopping for a car and was not very fond of the feel of it. The R class on the other hand felt much better. I ended up bying the R500 - (8 cyl) CPO.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:49 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
First post! Love this forum....

Anyways, the lease on my XC90 is coming up this summer and I always wanted ther GL320 but in the end the vehicle that made the most sense was the R320.

We have three kids, 8, 6 and 15 months so the purpose back then of getting the XC90 was two booster seats and having the ability to bring a passenger or two if need be. Thanks to the integrated booster seat, the three kids fit in the middle row and we don't have to use the third row. The Volvo is one of the only vehicles that can do that. The Volvo is the wife's car, hence the family car and I do drive it quite a bit. It is not fast but decent on the highway. The inline 6 is smooth but strained with the weight of this vehicle. It is an amazing piece of packaging, however and I think that it is the ultimate family car with regards to a family of 5. All three middle seats move front/back. You can get into the rear from both sides and the shape of the cargo allows some impressive hauling. It is not "fun" to drive but, honestly, I have my G37 for that. It is all about transporting your loved ones in a quiet, safe vehicle that feels special and exudes quality. The XC90 satisfies it to a degree. That is what MB is partly about, isn't it?

I was disappointed that the GL did not seem as big as it looked on the inside. You can only enter from one side of the vehicle, which was the fatal headshot for me. Inexcusable, really in that type of vehicle. The seats are not mobile like the Volvo as well. I didn't even drive it.

I ordered the R320 instead with the Premium package. They have loaded up this unpopular vehicle so much more content than when it first came out that you cannot ignore its value, of all words. Lots of space and thankfully my oldest does not require a booster seat anymore and fit sin that puny middle seat. It drive much nicer than the Volvo, no question, but it didn't fit in my garage! Had to rearrange things and made me realize how well packaged the XC90 is. The key, people, is width to accomodating larger families and the Volvo, Honda Pilot, XC90 and ML have the width, even the CX9's middle seat is a little tight...

Anyways, sorry for the long post but I would definitelt rank the R 1st, XC90 2nd and the GL last.

Last edited by coladin; 03-05-2009 at 01:53 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:48 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
BMW 340i xDrive 2018 MMPSK silver , Cadillac XT5 2018 silver, 09 R320 BT
Originally Posted by coladin
First post! Love this forum....

Anyways, the lease on my XC90 is coming up this summer and I always wanted ther GL320 but in the end the vehicle that made the most sense was the R320.

We have three kids, 8, 6 and 15 months so the purpose back then of getting the XC90 was two booster seats and having the ability to bring a passenger or two if need be. Thanks to the integrated booster seat, the three kids fit in the middle row and we don't have to use the third row. The Volvo is one of the only vehicles that can do that. The Volvo is the wife's car, hence the family car and I do drive it quite a bit. It is not fast but decent on the highway. The inline 6 is smooth but strained with the weight of this vehicle. It is an amazing piece of packaging, however and I think that it is the ultimate family car with regards to a family of 5. All three middle seats move front/back. You can get into the rear from both sides and the shape of the cargo allows some impressive hauling. It is not "fun" to drive but, honestly, I have my G37 for that. It is all about transporting your loved ones in a quiet, safe vehicle that feels special and exudes quality. The XC90 satisfies it to a degree. That is what MB is partly about, isn't it?

I was disappointed that the GL did not seem as big as it looked on the inside. You can only enter from one side of the vehicle, which was the fatal headshot for me. Inexcusable, really in that type of vehicle. The seats are not mobile like the Volvo as well. I didn't even drive it.

I ordered the R320 instead with the Premium package. They have loaded up this unpopular vehicle so much more content than when it first came out that you cannot ignore its value, of all words. Lots of space and thankfully my oldest does not require a booster seat anymore and fit sin that puny middle seat. It drive much nicer than the Volvo, no question, but it didn't fit in my garage! Had to rearrange things and made me realize how well packaged the XC90 is. The key, people, is width to accomodating larger families and the Volvo, Honda Pilot, XC90 and ML have the width, even the CX9's middle seat is a little tight...

Anyways, sorry for the long post but I would definitelt rank the R 1st, XC90 2nd and the GL last.
I've driven the XC90 and yes, the 6-cylinder is a dog. It has no oumph. The R320 is definitely a better drive. I'm sure you'll enjoy it since you're probably like me and become the weekend designated driver. Btw, how do you like the G37? My lease on the G35 is coming up May 2010. I've had to change the motor at 45km. Excessive oil consumption. First time I've had to replace an engine in a car. I like the GT-R, but hate the fact that it only comes with an auto-stick. I'm a purist and like a clutch and stick in my personal ride.

Anyhow, enjoy the R when you get.

Cheers
Old 03-07-2009, 02:48 PM

2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
Originally Posted by taranch
I've driven the XC90 and yes, the 6-cylinder is a dog. It has no oumph. The R320 is definitely a better drive. I'm sure you'll enjoy it since you're probably like me and become the weekend designated driver. Btw, how do you like the G37? My lease on the G35 is coming up May 2010. I've had to change the motor at 45km. Excessive oil consumption. First time I've had to replace an engine in a car. I like the GT-R, but hate the fact that it only comes with an auto-stick. I'm a purist and like a clutch and stick in my personal ride.

Anyhow, enjoy the R when you get.

Cheers
Well, around town its okay, it gets up to speed decently enough but I think I have redlined it, maybe, a dozen times in three years! I couldn't care less and before my G37S, it was a nasty 2005 Mustang GT which I still miss...but you are right that I am sure to enjoy driving the R a lot more than the Volvo.

Wow, I am surprised to hear that about your G. Mine is new with now 10K on it and I love it. My car is used primarily for myself and my two kids who fit very well in the back. Fast, luxurious and a good looking car. I was going to get a 335i but in the end it a coupe has to be about style and, uh, it doesn't have any!
Old 03-09-2009, 01:11 PM

Well, around town its okay, it gets up to speed decently enough but I think I have redlined it, maybe, a dozen times in three years! I couldn't care less and before my G37S, it was a nasty 2005 Mustang GT which I still miss...but you are right that I am sure to enjoy driving the R a lot more than the Volvo.

Wow, I am surprised to hear that about your G. Mine is new with now 10K on it and I love it. My car is used primarily for myself and my two kids who fit very well in the back. Fast, luxurious and a good looking car. I was going to get a 335i but in the end it a coupe has to be about style and, uh, it doesn't have any!
My G35 is getting a little tight for my kids (6 & 3). I like the car, but it doesn't have the fit and finish of an MB and it's not solid on the highway like an MB.

I don't like BMWs, safe maybe for the new M3. I LOVE V8s.

Curious that you mentioned your Mustang. I owned an '87 GT 5.0 many years ago. I was never able to get the neck-snapping torque from any other car thereafter. The only downside to my old 5.0 was the brakes. Disc-drums on a quick car like that was a shame.

Getting back to the R320, since this is an MB forum, it's a GREAT family car. The wife complained about the size initially, but she's used to it now after ~4 months. She loves it now. Women are different than men at least when it comes to cars. The initial thing she loved the most about it was the heated steering wheel. I told her that her next car would be a Lada with a heated steering wheel.

Cheers!
Old 03-09-2009, 01:55 PM

2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
I like BMWs and they used to lease now...now they don't and there are better cars for the money.

Yeah the 05 GT was an amazing Mustang, best ever. I miss it for sure but as far as the new M3 goes...C63 all the way!

I am a little concerned with the size, given it didn't fit in my garage! But it does now and the wife will beinstructed to give herself plenty of space with the doors as well as my kids will have to watch or get valet service from mom!
Old 03-09-2009, 11:39 PM

I like BMWs and they used to lease now...now they don't and there are better cars for the money.

Yeah the 05 GT was an amazing Mustang, best ever. I miss it for sure but as far as the new M3 goes...C63 all the way!

I am a little concerned with the size, given it didn't fit in my garage! But it does now and the wife will beinstructed to give herself plenty of space with the doors as well as my kids will have to watch or get valet service from mom!
I love the C63, but I love the feel of a stick. Paddle shifters are not the same.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:12 PM

R350 4-matic
If you love C63, you would have loved the R63. Blowing the doors off a 'stang w/ 5 other guys in your car is simply priceless. My buddy in NY has one and while visiting I got the bug. He sold his before I could get the funds to buy it, but the R63 is awesome. What the R-class should really be.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:11 PM

2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
Originally Posted by R. Reyes
If you love C63, you would have loved the R63. Blowing the doors off a 'stang w/ 5 other guys in your car is simply priceless. My buddy in NY has one and while visiting I got the bug. He sold his before I could get the funds to buy it, but the R63 is awesome. What the R-class should really be.

I agree! I think it would be something else, to feel that type of power in a big vehicle like that!
Old 03-17-2009, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
Has anyone compared the R-Class to the Cadillac SRX?
Old 03-17-2009, 01:06 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
08 R350, 07 Acura RL, 1989 Honda Shadow VLX600 (10K miles)
Originally Posted by avlis
In my opinion, Cadillac SRX is Fugly.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:58 PM

2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
Originally Posted by avlis
It is just too small, smaller than the XC90.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:02 PM

05 CLK500; 07 Volvo XC90
I was able to see and test-drive the R350 and the XC90. I looked at an '08 R350 with 7 seats option. The car is fabulously rich looking (especially in the tan color). The seats are big and soft. The drive is not bad either. However I did wish the second row has a bigger middle seat; maybe they should have place three smaller seats instead of adding a ridiculous small middle seat (like the Ody's eighth seat). I also didn't like the trunk space -- too shallow. I brought down my regular-size laundry basket to see if it would fit -- it didn't (it was a deal breaker because we travel alot to both parents' houses and have all the kids' clothes in the basket instead of suitcases or bags). I wish it was 1 foot deeper (could have make the legrooms in the second row a little tighter to accommodate a bigger trunk). I found that it is 3 inches longer than the Ody/Sienna but space wasn't efficiently use).

The XC90 I tested was an '07. It looks and feel smaller than the R. The one I drove was black inside so it didn't look as expensive as the R. Everything was smaller inside so it felt more cramp especially after test-drove the R. However, its trunk space was big enough to accommodate my laundry basket.

So basically, I am back to the drawing board and might consider an Ody or a Sienna. One of these minivans seems to be more suited for a family of 7 and I could get it brand new. Thanks
Old 03-17-2009, 03:36 PM

2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
I agree that middle seat is silly. The great thing about my XC90 is the integrated child seat in the middle seat which is a huge space saver. I am lucky that we are 5 but if we needed the 7 seats it will be tough to beat a minivan or one of those beasts Escalades the XL setup.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:31 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
08 R350, 07 Acura RL, 1989 Honda Shadow VLX600 (10K miles)
I was able to see and test-drive the R350 and the XC90. I looked at an '08 R350 with 7 seats option. The car is fabulously rich looking (especially in the tan color). The seats are big and soft. The drive is not bad either. However I did wish the second row has a bigger middle seat; maybe they should have place three smaller seats instead of adding a ridiculous small middle seat (like the Ody's eighth seat). I also didn't like the trunk space -- too shallow. I brought down my regular-size laundry basket to see if it would fit -- it didn't (it was a deal breaker because we travel alot to both parents' houses and have all the kids' clothes in the basket instead of suitcases or bags). I wish it was 1 foot deeper (could have make the legrooms in the second row a little tighter to accommodate a bigger trunk). I found that it is 3 inches longer than the Ody/Sienna but space wasn't efficiently use).

The XC90 I tested was an '07. It looks and feel smaller than the R. The one I drove was black inside so it didn't look as expensive as the R. Everything was smaller inside so it felt more cramp especially after test-drove the R. However, its trunk space was big enough to accommodate my laundry basket.

So basically, I am back to the drawing board and might consider an Ody or a Sienna. One of these minivans seems to be more suited for a family of 7 and I could get it brand new. Thanks
Well said.

In your case, go with mini VAN. It has more rooms for passengers and cargo.

R class is a better road handling, safety, luxury vehicle in all seasons and has beautiful interior and exterior than any mini Vans.

P.S: I had looked at Ody,Sienna, Audi Q7, Acura MDX and BMW X5 and bought the R (Brand New for $41,200 before tax)which fits my case perfectly.

Last edited by AsianR350; 03-17-2009 at 06:43 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:17 PM

MDX, R350 soon
Originally Posted by Carrerax
I wanted keyless go but it was hard enough finding one with sport (and that was a priority) and low miles that it would have taken forever to find a keyless go one. Not to mention I had the cars history checked out etc. Please understand that I am really not trying to be a jerk here, I just want a car my family can enjoy. We are driving from Ohio to Florida in a month for vacation and it sucks that we have to take my X5 that is too small for 2 kids and all our stuff but it has proven to start. What really sucks is that I want to drop a 911 motor off in florida to be rebuilt and I think it will fit in the R500 (with the 3rd row down) with our bags on top of it but we cant take the car because it might not start. Oh well, at least I can tell people I have a mercedes......I just didnt drive it.
You can not be serious? Carry a motor in the passenger compartment with your two kids and wifey in there? There is no way you can secure that thing in the event of heavy braking or God forbid a crash.

Saab points out in their wagon manual the importance of securing all cargo. According to Saab, a 55 pound object hits the rear seat with a force of 2200 pounds in a crash of 30mph. Additionally, they say that one should never stack cargo above the rear seat which becomes a projectile in a crash (a great way to snap your neck or get dain bramage). Cargo also should be strapped down with those cargo hooks no one ever uses.

For the safety of your family I am glad the 911 motor won't fit in the X5. All of the MB safety features are of no value with a motor riding right behind your kids. Man, you need to re think that idea and scure your reasonable weight non rooftop cargo with cam belts (avoid bungies- they snap and yank your retina onto your shoe).