R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Service E -- 2006 R500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 11:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 R500 Red w/Tan interior
Service E -- 2006 R500

Anyone know what is all involved in the Service E for a 2006 R500 with 24,300 miles on it? I changed oil and filter at 19,000 miles. Do you know how long the spark plugs in this vehicle should last? It is 100,000 miles on my Silverado Truck. One last question, what has Service E cost you when you had the dealer do the work?
Old 04-06-2009, 10:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
E90 N54 & W251
Originally Posted by rgood10921
Anyone know what is all involved in the Service E for a 2006 R500 with 24,300 miles on it? I changed oil and filter at 19,000 miles. Do you know how long the spark plugs in this vehicle should last? It is 100,000 miles on my Silverado Truck. One last question, what has Service E cost you when you had the dealer do the work?
I've found it makes more sense to refer to the maintenance booklet rather than to try to interpret the whole Service A,B,C stuff. Towards the end of your maintenance booklet, there's a service overview matrix outlining everything that needs to be done and does not reference the "lettered" services.

Summary of Services:

1Yr/13K miles (Service "A"):
Service 1 = A list of vehicle checks
Service 3 = Oil and filter change

2Yr/26K miles
Service 2 = A larger list of vehicle checks
Service 4 = Checks on body, chassis and replace brake fluid. (Time only)
Service 5 = Replace cabin dust filter

3Yr/39K miles
Service 20 = Transmission oil and filter change (Mileage dependent only)

Also, I'm pretty sure the service letters change as needed. For example, I did my first service on the R which was a Service "A" (1Yr/13K miles). I did it at 10K miles and a day over the 1 year mark. When I reset the computer, it now says I need a Service "C" in 13K miles, which should equate to the 2Yr/26K mile service indicated above. If I get to 26K miles well before the 2 year mark, then theoretically I wouldn't need the brake fluid flush just yet, which might change the service letter to something other than a "C". Also, when you reset your computer, it only refers to the list of the service numbers that I mention above. Only the day-to-day display refers to the "lettered" services.

Bottom line, you just need to follow the service items outlined in the maintenance booklet.

Based on your mileage and vehicle age, it looks like you need the 2Yr/26K mile service currently. The spark plugs are replaced at 5 years if I'm not mistaken. Double check your maintenance booklet.

Good luck!

Last edited by ~CL500~; 04-06-2009 at 10:59 AM.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:49 PM

Thanks for the information. Looks you are correct, I need to replace the Cabin Air Filter, Flush the Brake Fluid, and inspect the brake pads and a whole bunch of other inspection stuff. I purchased ATE SL.6 Brake Fluid and a Hengst Cabin Air Filter x2 (looks like the R takes a pair of these). I bought a brake sensor (just in case I forget to inspect the brakes in the future prior to them wearing out enough to set the sensor off). I should be set for this maintenance. I just did the oil change at 19,720 miles in November, so I have some time/miles to go on that. In the maintenance manual it states that the spark plugs need to be every 5 years as ~CL500~ stated in the above post or at 91,000 miles -- whichever comes first. Also on my R500 there are 2 spark plugs per cylinder -- first time I have had a vehicle with that design! One last question, has anyone replaced their brake pads? Do have to replace the rotors at the same time on Mercedes or can you re-use them if they look to be in good shape? Do you replace the rear pads when you replace the fronts, in my experience on other manufacturers, the rear pads always wear twice as slow?
Old 04-06-2009, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Mercedes R350 2WD
I have a 2008 R350 and recently I had a count down with certain days left. And I have no idea what is this for.

Anyone has an idea?
Old 04-06-2009, 10:27 PM

Mine is counting down the days for Service E. What is weird is that the R500 uses letters to describe the service that needs to be done, but the owner's manual uses Service Numbers to describe the maintenance. I would look at your mileage and compare that to the mileage in your Maintenance Booklet that came with the owner's manual black leather pack of books. The booklet will describe what maintenance needs to be done based upon mileage and time passed.
Do you see a lmaintenance etter on the display?
Old 04-07-2009, 10:11 AM

R350
My 2006 R350 just said Service D within 30 days. I bought it CPO in November about 24500 miles. Now is about 27500 miles. I thought COP has most current service done? Also, how much will it cost to bring to the dealer? Or it's something I can do myself? Sorry, it's first time I own a mercedes....
Old 04-07-2009, 12:47 PM

E90 N54 & W251
Thanks for the information. Looks you are correct, I need to replace the Cabin Air Filter, Flush the Brake Fluid, and inspect the brake pads and a whole bunch of other inspection stuff. I purchased ATE SL.6 Brake Fluid and a Hengst Cabin Air Filter x2 (looks like the R takes a pair of these). I bought a brake sensor (just in case I forget to inspect the brakes in the future prior to them wearing out enough to set the sensor off). I should be set for this maintenance. I just did the oil change at 19,720 miles in November, so I have some time/miles to go on that. In the maintenance manual it states that the spark plugs need to be every 5 years as ~CL500~ stated in the above post or at 91,000 miles -- whichever comes first. Also on my R500 there are 2 spark plugs per cylinder -- first time I have had a vehicle with that design! One last question, has anyone replaced their brake pads? Do have to replace the rotors at the same time on Mercedes or can you re-use them if they look to be in good shape? Do you replace the rear pads when you replace the fronts, in my experience on other manufacturers, the rear pads always wear twice as slow?
My pleasure.

Regarding the brakes, some say that you should replace the rotors with the pads. I personally change rotors every other pad change. I've done them on the CL, all 4 corners together, but not on the R yet. When I did change the pads, I only recall that they were pretty worn and on the verge of triggering the wear sensors. The R may wear differently.

I use ATE SuperBlue in the CL. The bleeder from Motive Products made it a really easy job. Good choice
Old 04-07-2009, 12:50 PM

E90 N54 & W251
Originally Posted by MyMercedes012
I have a 2008 R350 and recently I had a count down with certain days left. And I have no idea what is this for.

Anyone has an idea?
You're due for service based on time interval and not mileage. Reference your odometer and maintenance manual to see what you're due for.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:00 PM

E90 N54 & W251
Mine is counting down the days for Service E. What is weird is that the R500 uses letters to describe the service that needs to be done, but the owner's manual uses Service Numbers to describe the maintenance. I would look at your mileage and compare that to the mileage in your Maintenance Booklet that came with the owner's manual black leather pack of books. The booklet will describe what maintenance needs to be done based upon mileage and time passed.
Do you see a lmaintenance etter on the display?
Correct.

This is the new FSS system. A, B, C, etc. should correlate to combinations of service 1-20. The letters are irrelevant really because when you reset the computer you have to specify which service number (not letter) you performed. For example, when you do an oil change you just reset "Service 3". Brake fluid; reset "Service 4".
Old 04-07-2009, 01:03 PM

E90 N54 & W251
Originally Posted by melvinh
My 2006 R350 just said Service D within 30 days. I bought it CPO in November about 24500 miles. Now is about 27500 miles. I thought COP has most current service done? Also, how much will it cost to bring to the dealer? Or it's something I can do myself? Sorry, it's first time I own a mercedes....

I would find out a list of services that were performed first. Some may have not been not due when you purchased the vehicle, but they are now based on time interval.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:40 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
08 R350, 07 Acura RL, 1989 Honda Shadow VLX600 (10K miles)
Originally Posted by ~CL500~
I've found it makes more sense to refer to the maintenance booklet rather than to try to interpret the whole Service A,B,C stuff. Towards the end of your maintenance booklet, there's a service overview matrix outlining everything that needs to be done and does not reference the "lettered" services.

Summary of Services:

1Yr/13K miles (Service "A"):

2Yr/26K miles
Service 2 = A larger list of vehicle checks
Service 4 = Checks on body, chassis and replace brake fluid. (Time only)
Service 5 = Replace cabin dust filter

3Yr/39K miles
Service 20 = Transmission oil and filter change (Mileage dependent only)

Also, I'm pretty sure the service letters change as needed. For example, I did my first service on the R which was a Service "A" (1Yr/13K miles). I did it at 10K miles and a day over the 1 year mark. When I reset the computer, it now says I need a Service "C" in 13K miles, which should equate to the 2Yr/26K mile service indicated above. If I get to 26K miles well before the 2 year mark, then theoretically I wouldn't need the brake fluid flush just yet, which might change the service letter to something other than a "C". Also, when you reset your computer, it only refers to the list of the service numbers that I mention above. Only the day-to-day display refers to the "lettered" services.

Bottom line, you just need to follow the service items outlined in the maintenance booklet.

Based on your mileage and vehicle age, it looks like you need the 2Yr/26K mile service currently. The spark plugs are replaced at 5 years if I'm not mistaken. Double check your maintenance booklet.

Good luck!
You are absolutely correct.

Back in Aprl, 09 when my R was almost a year old at 4000 miles, it showed service A dues in 21 days. I had dealer do the oil change and it shows service C dues in 13,000 miles after reset by the dealer. (Dealer had clear sticker shows on windshield 10,000 miles dues for oil change)
Old 06-14-2009, 03:11 AM

R500 -06 & Corvette -98 Indy PC
Originally Posted by ~CL500~
Correct.

This is the new FSS system. A, B, C, etc. should correlate to combinations of service 1-20. The letters are irrelevant really because when you reset the computer you have to specify which service number (not letter) you performed. For example, when you do an oil change you just reset "Service 3". Brake fluid; reset "Service 4".
Yeah, that how it goes. My R said Service D due in 5700 miles when I bought it. I did immediately Service 4 & 5 because it wasn't done yet (ever, for 4 years old car). I especially wanted break fluids changed because my brother is currently loaning the car for longer trip in mountains etc. After service, it now says Service C due in xx miles.