R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Hinged side windows

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 02:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 SL500, 2007 R350 Sport
Hinged side windows

When I closed the drivers door last night I noticed the drivers side rear hinged window pop out and back in due to the air compression. After locking the car I was able to pull open the glass. The chrome edging round the glass isn't in 1 piece so put my fingers behind the top part and was able to pull it open an inch or 2.

Noticed a white circular plastic pad behind it which I slid over a bit and after pushing the glass onto it, it appears more secure. I'm wondering if that pad is attached by vacuum? There are no screws or glue of any kind that I could see. Anyone ever come across that? I'll keep my eye on it and take it into the dealer if it happens again.

Funnily enough, I was aware of more wind noise when I drove it last weekend so opened and closed those windows to make sure they were shut properly. We haven't had much rain lately so I'll be watching for leaks too.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:26 AM

320 CDI, 2006
The same thing happend on my '06 R320. I used a 2 component glue and glued the glas to the white thing, put in compression over night. No problem since. Don't use "super glue", as it braks the glas when hardening.

I think the glas is hingened since there is an option for opening rear side windows. The fixed white thing is most likely replaced with an actuator of some sort. Most likely fastgend to the window the same way.

Sigurd
Old 04-21-2009, 09:37 AM

2004 SL500, 2007 R350 Sport
Thanks Sigurd. Couldn't see any trace of glue which was strange.
As long as it doesn't happen again or leak it'll wait until the next service.