R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Rear airvent removal on center console

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R320 CDI
Rear airvent removal on center console

Hi, I have just purchased the single dvd screen for the rear seat passengers and want to fit it myself. My only issue at the moment is how to remove the airvents and surrounds from the rear of the front center console to fit the DVD player. Does anyone have any details on how to do this?
Old 05-14-2009, 09:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 R500 Red w/Tan interior
I looked on my STAR DVD for R-Class and there is instructions on how to retrofit the DVD unit to the vehicle. It shows how to hook up the harness to the Rear SAM unit (near spare tire) and hooking up the unit itself to the front console. Looks doable, but lengthy instructions. My suggestion is to but the STAR DVD and follow the instructions, you can have it mailed to your house just by calling Mercedes (search forums for this info). Then you will have the DVD for reference if you do any of the maintenance on the vehicle yourself. But, to try and answer your specific question, looks like you need a tool (mercedes calls them a "Pulling Hook", two of them in order to reach inside the vent opening (one hook for the left side and the other for the right side) and catch the hook that is holding it in and pull it towards the center of the vent in order to release it from the console. These are plastic ears, one on each side, just below the silver accented vent direction arm, that catch when you push the vent in during installation, you have to grab and pull them back in order to get them to clear the console sides so you can slide out the vent. The pulling hooks look like a T-Handle stiff wire with a little 90 degree bend at the very end (probably can make one out of some stiff metal rod). Hope this helps.