Need Help! Looking to buy R-Class

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 05:27 PM
srd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Infiniti G35 6MT Sedan 2005 Chevy Duramax Diesel 4x4 2003 Harley V-Rod
Need Help! Looking to buy R-Class

My husband and I are looking to purchase a used R-Class. We live in AZ. There is a used R-350 in OR that we have negotiated for $19K. It doesn't have a lot of options...up-graded sterio is about it. 37K miles.

What do you think about the price?
What do you think about the lack of options?
What do you think about changing climate from OR to AZ?

Also looking at a used R-500 in TX for about $22 with more options and 49K miles. Not sure about purchasing something with so many miles.

We have a daughter in a wheelchair and have decided the R-class works best for us because of all the room in the second row, wide doors, and room for the wheel chair in back, but are limited on price. Any advice is very appreciated.

Thanks for the help!
Old 06-30-2009, 10:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 C300 4matic, 2015 Porsche Macan S, 2006 R500 (sold)
Originally Posted by srd
My husband and I are looking to purchase a used R-Class. We live in AZ. There is a used R-350 in OR that we have negotiated for $19K. It doesn't have a lot of options...up-graded sterio is about it. 37K miles.

Also looking at a used R-500 in TX for about $22 with more options and 49K miles. Not sure about purchasing something with so many miles.

We have a daughter in a wheelchair and have decided the R-class works best for us because of all the room in the second row, wide doors, and room for the wheel chair in back, but are limited on price. Any advice is very appreciated.

Thanks for the help!
$19K is not bad for R350. Is it in good condition and accident free?

Regarding options, it is really your personal preference. The common options are Power Liftgate, Navigation, Panarama Sunroof, Distance Sensors, 3 zone climate control and etc. They will be very expensive to add them later to the car but if you don't care much about any of these options, I think it is fine to get a R without them.

Regarding the R500, 49K mile is too high and I would stay away from it.

If the part of OR snow in the wintor, there will be more wear out of the suspension and brake items due to salt on the road. Not the biggest deal but does need to pay attention when check out the car.

One thing bear in mind that all Mercedes are generally more expensive to upkeep than the Japanese or American counterparts. I would recommend to buy an extended warranty down the road before the original warranty expires. The warranty runs you about $2500 for additional 4 years or up to 100K miles. If you are price sensitive, I would not bad any Mercedes without an extended warranty. You can learn more about extended warranty from this forum.

In general, R is a very good car and my family is totally enjoying it. Good luck.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:35 PM

2008 Mercedes R350 2WD
get a new one

and do you have any trade in? maybe you can be qualified for the $4500 credit on your new car purchase...good luck
Old 06-30-2009, 10:10 PM

I love my 2016 gl350
Originally Posted by srd

Thanks for the help!

If you have a lot of Snow, then you need the Airsuspension option, which raises the car 3 inches above the normal level (for high Snow), However, at 25 MPH and above the car will lower it self by 2 inches, and at 70 mph it is lowered to zero alevation (normal level).
most R500s have the air suspension features.

Goodluck
Old 06-30-2009, 10:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Originally Posted by srd

Thanks for the help!
1. The R500 has more power of course. I would opt for the R500, speaking from experience of driving both.

2. Get a R500 with less miles than that. Check on Ebay about 9 listed right now.

Good luck!