R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

"Whoosh" sound when you leave the car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 02:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R500 -06 & Corvette -98 Indy PC
"Whoosh" sound when you leave the car

One more issue found from my R (in addition to noisy panoroof, steering column clicks, some A/C issues, premium stereo system automatic volume control etc.). When I'm leaving the car and I close driver's door, after a few seconds there's really weird "whoosh" sound coming from right front corner, sometimes louder, sometimes cannot hear it at all. I'm wondering where is this coming from, sounds like some air pressure is released through some valve or something like that.

I have airmatic on it, but I don't suppose this sound is related to airmatic. It's coming before I lock the doors, just a few seconds after closing driver's door. Any ideas?
Old 07-26-2009, 02:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Originally Posted by veppe
One more issue found from my R (in addition to noisy panoroof, steering column clicks, some A/C issues, premium stereo system automatic volume control etc.). When I'm leaving the car and I close driver's door, after a few seconds there's really weird "whoosh" sound coming from right front corner, sometimes louder, sometimes cannot hear it at all. I'm wondering where is this coming from, sounds like some air pressure is released through some valve or something like that.

I have airmatic on it, but I don't suppose this sound is related to airmatic. It's coming before I lock the doors, just a few seconds after closing driver's door. Any ideas?
It's the airmatic. My R does it.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 199 Likes on 178 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
It's the Airmatic. My GL does it.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 R350 & 2008 C300
To add to this...I have the same sound and was told by a MB tech it was indeed the airmatic system although my R isn't equipped with that option or so I thought. MB tech claims that all R classes have a version of the airmatic system, but there are two versions, the full version with driver adjustable settings and a standard version that automatically levels the vehicle above certain speeds.

To answer the question, its a compressor releasing air.

By the way, to the original poster, what is the problem with the premium sound systems auto volume control? Keep in mind that if it is the Harmon Kardon system it works differently than the standard auto leveling. The Harmon Kardon system uses a microphone inside the car to auto adjust for any sounds inside the car as well as for the speed of the car.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by chilledbenz
By the way, to the original poster, what is the problem with the premium sound systems auto volume control? Keep in mind that if it is the Harmon Kardon system it works differently than the standard auto leveling. The Harmon Kardon system uses a microphone inside the car to auto adjust for any sounds inside the car as well as for the speed of the car.
When I read about this system I of course wanted to test how it works By owner's manual HarmanKardon system should adjust volume based on sounds inside the car (not speed at all if I understood it correctly). So I song in the car, I yelled and I screamed (must have been interesting for outside observer if someone looked at me ) but I never got any noticeable change in volume. I think I'll test it some more before complaining at the dealership, just in case How can you see the change in volume, does the inside noise need to be e.g. louder, or lasting longer?
Old 07-27-2009, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
I think I'll test it some more before complaining at the dealership, just in case How can you see the change in volume, does the inside noise need to be e.g. louder, or lasting longer?

Roll your window down while stopped next to a Harley at a stoplight.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:13 PM

R500
I hear that same whoosh sound too.... also has anyone woke up to see the car lowered and then when you turn it on it self adjusts??? Weird but kinda cool.

Is that normal with the Airmatic system?
Old 11-08-2009, 12:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
be sure to get car checked asap as it's only going to get worse.
mine did that - when getting back in the car after it sat for a while, you'd hear the clicking noise under the hood somewhere. then the car display said "wait" and the car raised. clue #1 that was airmatic shock. took it to car dealer, and they confirmed and replaced the front right shock it right away - nice to have CPO. otherwise, i think it could have been $1200(?).
p.s. given how expensive these are and how often i hear about the problems, i wonder if these systems are truly worth it...or better just to have standard suspensions that have been proven reliable/more durable.
PL
Old 11-08-2009, 01:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 38 Posts
BMW, Tesla, Mercedes, Porsche
Originally Posted by 22sR500
I hear that same whoosh sound too.... also has anyone woke up to see the car lowered and then when you turn it on it self adjusts??? Weird but kinda cool.

Is that normal with the Airmatic system?
What you described is completely normal for any Airmatic-equipped vehicle.

Originally Posted by bzliteyear
mine did that - when getting back in the car after it sat for a while, you'd hear the clicking noise under the hood somewhere. then the car display said "wait" and the car raised. clue #1 that was airmatic shock. took it to car dealer, and they confirmed and replaced the front right shock it right away - nice to have CPO. otherwise, i think it could have been $1200(?).
p.s. given how expensive these are and how often i hear about the problems, i wonder if these systems are truly worth it...or better just to have standard suspensions that have been proven reliable/more durable.
PL
A whooshing sound is normal - clicking is not. When my GL's Airmatic went out, the compressor made the same clicking noise.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:18 AM

R500
Originally Posted by bzliteyear
PL
Oh mine does not make a clicking noise..... however thanks because now I will keep my ears open for that!
Old 11-08-2009, 08:21 AM

R500
QUADBENZ: Thanks for letting me know it's normal! I was hoping it was and like I said I think it looks cool for it to be low and when I get in it, it raises ^^ mine has never displayed "Wait".... not yet atleast
Old 11-08-2009, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
You can have your dealer check dealer technical bulletin DTB T-B_32.22/65, "Discharge Noise from Airmatic Compressor."

This involves installing some damping material on the inner fender and installing a modified hose.

Damping mats were installed at factory beginning 1/2007 and different hoses beginning 7/2007, so if yours is later than that you're "normal."

DTB will be performed free while you're under warranty and because you complain.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 38 Posts
BMW, Tesla, Mercedes, Porsche
Originally Posted by 22sR500
QUADBENZ: Thanks for letting me know it's normal! I was hoping it was and like I said I think it looks cool for it to be low and when I get in it, it raises ^^ mine has never displayed "Wait".... not yet atleast
How low are we talking? If it gets too low, that's not good IMO but for it to lower a little bit is normal.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:09 AM

Merc R350, Merc B200turbo
Swooshing sound I get a lot of... what about a modem-like sound? anyone ever hear that in their R?
Old 05-03-2010, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by G_Ski&Bike
Swooshing sound I get a lot of... what about a modem-like sound? anyone ever hear that in their R?
You mean the beeping sound coming from somewhere in the dashboard? Yeah, I sometimes hear that. I guess it's just the little R2-D2 warming up in there
Old 05-03-2010, 04:04 AM

Merc R350, Merc B200turbo
You mean the beeping sound coming from somewhere in the dashboard? Yeah, I sometimes hear that. I guess it's just the little R2-D2 warming up in there
literally sounds like an old modem trying to connect to dial-up... it's the weirdest thing.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
I think the "modem" sound you are hearing is the CD or DVD player spooling up the disk. It does it when the drivers door is opened right?
Old 05-05-2010, 07:54 AM

R500
Just FYI, my front left strut was indeed broken, and had to be replaced at MB, that is why the car was always slammed to the ground in the mornings and it would tilt to the left when parked, of course all due to the front strut. Thank goodness for this board otherwise I would have not taken it in as soon as I did.

G_Ski&Bike:I never hear a modem like sound, do you have a telephone service hooked up?