Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 12:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
grippy brakes approaching stop

hi guys,

do you guys know what causes the brakes to be grabby and NOT release smoothly right before the complete stop, or right when I'm about to accelerate? the brakes work fine, but right at the end point - the final inch, i usually try to stop the car smoothly...and either there's still too much torque w/ engine at idle, or the brake bads are not smooth? (the brakes are only about 15k miles old and they work great).

p.s. i'm having this problem only on the R500, but do not have this problem on my S55 or E320 cabriolet.

PL
Old 10-31-2009, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R350 4-matic
Depending up on brake pressure you're applying there is a brake power boost feature and that could be it. Also when first accelerating away, if there is ANY type of incline, you're brake hill-assist is engaging and that is what you're feeling.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Btw, I played around with the C/S setting for transmission and found out it's MUCH better on the C setting. On the S-sport setting, it's definitely much more grabby - right near the full-depressed brake mode. Although I like the S-mode for spirited driving, going to switch to C-comfort for a while and enjoy the smoother complete braking.
PL
Old 11-08-2009, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 204 Likes on 181 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Generally speaking, all brakes get more "grabby" as you slow down 'cause it's a law of physics that friction increases with the inverse of speed. Your smoothest braking will occur as you decrease pedal pressure as you come to a stop--try it.

OTOH, given how poor I think the brake feel is on my GL and how likely it is R-class components are the same or nearly so, some of this is likely due to Mercedes supplier design.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

actually, it isn't merely physics as i'm comparing the way the car drove 6 months ago when brakes were newer vs. now. if it did not grab before and grabs now, i think something has changed. from my observation, only 2 changes - older brakes, and I started using "S" transmission setting vs. the "C" setting. indeed, when I switched back to "C" setting, the brakes were indeed smoother.
PL
Old 11-09-2009, 01:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R350 4-matic
Originally Posted by bzliteyear
actually, it isn't merely physics as i'm comparing the way the car drove 6 months ago when brakes were newer vs. now. if it did not grab before and grabs now, i think something has changed. from my observation, only 2 changes - older brakes, and I started using "S" transmission setting vs. the "C" setting. indeed, when I switched back to "C" setting, the brakes were indeed smoother.
PL
As all things when switching between modes, things will firm up, steering, brakes, shift points, etc., however the difference will not be like switching modes in a Ferrari or SL AMG. However there are different settings and parameters that do and by some can be felt, but only usually under "enhanced" driving. For example...even in my R I can get the traction control to light up in "S" mode but not way in "C". Hard to do, but indeed can be done.