R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Question about the 7Gtronic Transmission?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R KLASSE
Question about the 7Gtronic Transmission?

We bought our W204 C300 new and for the entire time we owned the car it had this annoying slight jerk when you pull up into say a driveway or curb at 1-2 mph then lightly tap the gas to say pull up in the driveway. Basically it feels like the trans is in the wrong gear for a second, the felling is a slight jolt.

Anyway I've noticed over the past few days that our R with the same 7Gtronic transmission does the same thing in the same spot in the driveway. At first I thought it was a defect with the C and was waiting for a chance to bring it up with an adviser at service time, we ended up trading that car for our R. Anyway just wondering if it's a natural characteristic with this transmission since our R behaves just like the C in this manner. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
The "jerk" is the 2-1 downshift.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:42 AM

R KLASSE
Sometimes I can feel a low speed thunk or jerk, no noise it's just felt and feels like drive line slack. Almost as if the engine speed is slightly more or greater then the speed of the wheels and drive train for a second.This happens when I'm driving through a parking lot slow 5-10 mph and usually when I haven't made a full complete stop or turning. Both of my work trucks do this, and various AWD & 4WD vehicles I've owned and driven in the past but I would imagine it's not normal for a $50K+ vehicle from MB.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 S65
There should be a software update for tranny to solve this. Ask your SA.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:37 PM

R350 4-matic
There is a software fix for this. Ask your SA and they will re-flash your software to the current spec.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:34 AM

R KLASSE
Is this normal...? I was on the freeway, wife & son on-board cruising 70 mph, took my exit that ended with a traffic light that I had to come to a complete stop at. I brought the R to a complete stop then the light turned green, I was probably stopped for barely a second but the car definitely was completely stopped. I go to take off and put my foot back on the gas and there was a moderate buck or slam into gear type feel from the trans. So much my wife said what was that? I told her I just put my foot back on the gas. I don't understand, Mercedes Benz puts this same transmission in cars with over 500hp from the factory, why does it get sloppy or confused on a measly 3.5L V6. Like I mentioned before I had similar experiences with the 7-gtronic transmission in my W204 with even less Hp. I'm not pissed off, or upset just curious is this really the norm from this vehicle and if not have some of you actually got the jerky-confused 1-2 shift fixed from the dealer? I've tried different scenarios, it's least likely to do it if in C-mode. In S-mode my car bucks when negotiating parking lots at low speeds. In C-Mode it's still there but less noticeable.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts
BMW, Tesla, Mercedes, Porsche
Originally Posted by R KLASSE
Is this normal...? I was on the freeway, wife & son on-board cruising 70 mph, took my exit that ended with a traffic light that I had to come to a complete stop at. I brought the R to a complete stop then the light turned green, I was probably stopped for barely a second but the car definitely was completely stopped. I go to take off and put my foot back on the gas and there was a moderate buck or slam into gear type feel from the trans. So much my wife said what was that? I told her I just put my foot back on the gas. I don't understand, Mercedes Benz puts this same transmission in cars with over 500hp from the factory, why does it get sloppy or confused on a measly 3.5L V6. Like I mentioned before I had similar experiences with the 7-gtronic transmission in my W204 with even less Hp. I'm not pissed off, or upset just curious is this really the norm from this vehicle and if not have some of you actually got the jerky-confused 1-2 shift fixed from the dealer? I've tried different scenarios, it's least likely to do it if in C-mode. In S-mode my car bucks when negotiating parking lots at low speeds. In C-Mode it's still there but less noticeable.
Why don't you take the above advice and take it to your dealer and get the software update for your transmission?
P.S. the 500+HP models with the same transmission have very different software loaded up.