R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Performance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 12:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R350
Performance

How do I improve the overall engine performance on my 06 R350. I brought my R in to the dealership for it’s service D and they gave me another R350 as a loaner. I could not believe the difference in engine performance from the loaner to mine in S mode. The loaner seemed to be more responsive and faster than mine. What can I do ??
Old 01-22-2010, 06:08 PM

R KLASSE
I thought the 7-Speed gearbox was an adaptive unit? If so I bet the Rental-Err Loaner was more responsive because the gear-box had adapted to people driving it like they stole it. Chances are if you drive yours easy most of the time it's used to being driven like that. I admit I thought the performance of our R350 was lacking when we got it, but now that I've had more time behind the wheel I've learned how to drive it. If I give it more throttle rather than easing on the gas it doesn't feel like it's bogging and actually feels like it's got some torque.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:50 PM

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
2007 S600
[quote=R KLASSE;3905851]I thought the 7-Speed gearbox was an adaptive unit?quote]

The AMG cars have an adaptive tranny and you can reset it quite easily. I haven't tried it on the R? The car models the shift points and response after the last 40 times you drove so if you do a lot of gentle cruising it assumes you want it respond like grandma was driving. In my S55 a reset can make a night and day difference.

To reset it, get in and turn the key all the way on (but NOT started). Press the throttle to the floor and hold it there and count to 30. While still holding the pedal to the floor, turn the key off BUT leave it in the ignition. You can let off the gas pedal now. Wait 2 to 3 mintues for the reset on the ECU and then you can take the key out. NOW, the next few times you drive it drive it hard and it will "learn" that that is how you want it to behave.

Like I said, I haven't tried this with my wife's R but it makes a huge difference in my S55. It is especially noticable after a long trip as the car "learns" to shift at low RPMs on those long trips using cruise. This above procedure resets it to the factory setting and sets it up to "re-learn" faster (as opposed to driving it hard forty trips to get it to slowly re-learn).
Old 01-23-2010, 06:38 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
08 R350, 07 Acura RL, 1989 Honda Shadow VLX600 (10K miles)
Originally Posted by R KLASSE
I thought the 7-Speed gearbox was an adaptive unit? If so I bet the Rental-Err Loaner was more responsive because the gear-box had adapted to people driving it like they stole it. Chances are if you drive yours easy most of the time it's used to being driven like that. I admit I thought the performance of our R350 was lacking when we got it, but now that I've had more time behind the wheel I've learned how to drive it. If I give it more throttle rather than easing on the gas it doesn't feel like it's bogging and actually feels like it's got some torque.
You are 100% correct.
My dealer foreman mechanic told me that he got a few complaints about the R's poor perfomance from the husbands who brought in the R's which mostly driven by the wives.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:17 PM

R350 4-matic
[QUOTE=Zachmac;3906049]
Originally Posted by R KLASSE
I thought the 7-Speed gearbox was an adaptive unit?quote]

The AMG cars have an adaptive tranny and you can reset it quite easily. I haven't tried it on the R? The car models the shift points and response after the last 40 times you drove so if you do a lot of gentle cruising it assumes you want it respond like grandma was driving. In my S55 a reset can make a night and day difference.

To reset it, get in and turn the key all the way on (but NOT started). Press the throttle to the floor and hold it there and count to 30. While still holding the pedal to the floor, turn the key off BUT leave it in the ignition. You can let off the gas pedal now. Wait 2 to 3 mintues for the reset on the ECU and then you can take the key out. NOW, the next few times you drive it drive it hard and it will "learn" that that is how you want it to behave.

Like I said, I haven't tried this with my wife's R but it makes a huge difference in my S55. It is especially noticable after a long trip as the car "learns" to shift at low RPMs on those long trips using cruise. This above procedure resets it to the factory setting and sets it up to "re-learn" faster (as opposed to driving it hard forty trips to get it to slowly re-learn).