R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

control unit switch - Panoramic Roof

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 11:46 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
S320 GL350
control unit switch - Panoramic Roof

I ordered (and replaced) my entire dome-light multi-function switch for the panoramic roof - after I "broke" the switch by pulling down too hard on it one too many times (it was still functional but not very). An expensive part since the module houses all the lights and has several electrical connections on the inside. By the way for most of you who may not know this - writing on the inside surface indicates small wattage 12 V xenon bulbs are present. Gotta love that quality engineering. Now to my question... I'm unable to utilize my garage door opener on the mirror - the lamp doesn't illuminate when I press the button - so I'm thinking the one lone green wire that I had a hard time connecting (since the connector didn't "click" like the others) was it - and I should probably partially remove to investigate. Any thoughts? This assumes that some kind of infrared/digital garage door broadcaster/memory unit is contained in the control unit and not inside of the mirror.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 R350 BlueTec
Good luck pal.

I take this stuff to the dealer so I don't waste my time chasing gremlins and everything works like its suppose to.

They are way smarter than us on this stuff and you could have messed with other things like the rain sensing wipers, the radio reception, the "SOS", and who knows what else.

This could cost you more than what you tried to save.

Good luck.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:46 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
S320 GL350
It's just that I'm not afraid of getting grubby. Well usually I do go to the dealer for all service jobs, including $500 oil changes! and soon for new brakes at 60,000 kms - what I didn't explain was the part that cost over $600 bucks - which actually was very simple to install myself (similary to the third brake light install on my son's CLK). And in so doing I learned a little more about the MB I love, and shared my "xenon" knowledge with others (above). They're truly sophisticated machines and as the man in the ad says - I'll never drive anything else.

Anyway a simple matter to double check one wire's connector on my day off tomorrow.

I'll update you all maybe with a photo or two as well.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:11 AM

2011 R350 BlueTec
I can respect your wanting to do things, but a few times I lost all the money that should have been saved.

Zimbrick in Madison WI is only charging $130 for my 10,000 mile oil changes on my diesel. From what people are saying, I'm considering myself lucky to have such a dealership that doesn't charge too much for stuff.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:33 AM

2008 R350, '67 GTO Convert, 2008 3500 RAM, '54 Packard Clipper, '37 Chev Grand Master Deluxe
Have a good dealer here as they work with you and sometimes bring in parts at cost.
Unfortunately, bought car from crappy dealer; Prime Motor Cars in MA & ME.