R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Airmatic failed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 R350 BlueTec
I called my MB dealer today and asked about my air suspension.

He stated: $470 for the air shock & 2 hours labor at worst. Air compressor's he stated are no big deal.

I don't know where you all are coming up with $1800, but my car will not be that.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:51 PM

06 R500 / 03 CLK430 Conv
Originally Posted by Ted Flynn
I called my MB dealer today and asked about my air suspension.

He stated: $470 for the air shock & 2 hours labor at worst. Air compressor's he stated are no big deal.

I don't know where you all are coming up with $1800, but my car will not be that.
You don't have Airmatic, you have the regular suspension that comes as standard that includes an air rear leveling system, but that is different from Airmatic. The types of $$$ being discussed previously relate to Airmatic.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:44 PM

2011 R350 BlueTec
Okay - I was wrong and I'll go back to being a happy MB driver.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 C300 4matic, 2015 Porsche Macan S, 2006 R500 (sold)
Ok, my another front airmatic strut failed this week. My car has 68K miles... .two down and two to go... airmatic strut that is
Old 12-15-2011, 02:13 AM

R500
I have a 2006 R500 with 64000 miles and my Airmatic Rear Driver side suspension started lowering when i parked (noticed this starting in cold weather). this is intermittent at the moment, im afraid with the compressor working overtime...it will be painful. Where can i buy compressor and valve for rear suspension as I only see air bags from arnott?
Old 12-15-2011, 02:15 AM

R500
did MB make this a recall free service to customers by chance due to the high rate of failures?
Old 12-21-2011, 09:10 AM

R500
I noticed a problem at 65000 miles with my R500 rear driver side suspension leaking when it started getting cold without any error codes. the dealer here in korea do not service r class so i am really in trouble. I see arnott has the bags for the rear, but no mention of valves or compressor...or DO I NEED TO ONLY REPLACE THE BAGS (is what i hope). please advise folks, what is my best course of action. from reading the thread, i went ahead and ordered from arnott.

How would i know if my front was already changed from original to aftermarket. Can someone please help me with my questions. I dont have anyone else to ask for information.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:47 PM

R-500 2006
Originally Posted by sitinyeto
I noticed a problem at 65000 miles with my R500 rear driver side suspension leaking when it started getting cold without any error codes. the dealer here in korea do not service r class so i am really in trouble. I see arnott has the bags for the rear, but no mention of valves or compressor...or DO I NEED TO ONLY REPLACE THE BAGS (is what i hope). please advise folks, what is my best course of action. from reading the thread, i went ahead and ordered from arnott.

How would i know if my front was already changed from original to aftermarket. Can someone please help me with my questions. I dont have anyone else to ask for information.
I've faced front pass strut leak recently, in Ukraine we have MB service but it is crazy expensive. Dealer estimated it at 2K USD so i've ordered strut from Arnott after talking to local indy mechanic, and after delivery that guy did the replacement. All together it was less than 1K USD including 300 USD of import duties. My advice would be to find such guy in Korea, if it is possible, consult with him, and order afterwards.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:47 PM

2006 r350 and 1997 sl320
hello every one i have a 2006 R350 my my rear tire down to bottom i think its the air compressor .can any1 tell me where is the compressor located please...i think its bad...and how much will cost a new 1...
Old 06-24-2012, 11:16 AM

R500
Can I replace my R500's Airmatic system with MB's non airmatic suspension parts?

Both of my fronts have been lowering evenly for the past several (4 to 7) days. I've had the car for <3 years (bought used). It has 66K miles. Never lowered in the prior 2.4 yrs.

Arnott has a pair for 689+tax with a lifetime warranty. Would you go with airmatics from Arnott or conventional suspension? Compressors and other fail points are not cheap fixes.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
R63 AMG, tt quattro (beater), Forrester XT 5MT
Doug - I noticed your R class remanufactured front shocks say not for R63. Am I out of luck, or would I need to just order the other air spring parts?
Old 07-02-2012, 09:31 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
MERCEDES-BENZ CL-CLASS
Arnott support for R-Class

Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed
Doug - I noticed your R class remanufactured front shocks say not for R63. Am I out of luck, or would I need to just order the other air spring parts?

You may be able to swap out the bags in that model. Contact Marvin in our support department for details.

Marvin Noel
http://www.arnottindustries.com/
1-800-251-8993 Ext.100
(M-F 8:30am - 6:30pm EST)
Old 08-10-2013, 02:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 S-550
Thumbs down Air Suspension (Airmatic)

2006 S-350. When, not if, airmatic fails seems to be the fact!
Replaced left shock at 46,307 miles. The warning, car was too low, came on and it was visibly lower, on the left side.
Replaced the right shock at 52,050 miles, heard a hissing noise, air loss going over speed reducer/bumps.
Thought I was in the clear on shocks until 56, 168 miles (22 months later) and now the left shock need to be replaced AGAIN!
The indications are different this time: no warning message, car is not lower; just a rattling sound I hear at low speed less then 20 mph over slightly rough pavement or miniature speed reducers. This rattling sound is very similar to a rattling sound I had on a 2001 E-320 which turned out to be a catalytic converter failure, but replaced at no cost since the converter was under the federal warranty law of 8 years/80 K miles which ever comes first.

Had to pay for both dealer shock replacements and really unhappy about the new left shock failing again in less then 10.000 miles! Maybe the rattling noise is other then a shock, bad washer, metal on metal in another area of front suspension.......I must be dreaming, when locked into only one dealer!
Guess I'll find out early next week?
Would like a newer S or CLS in the future but the airmatics will probably drive back to an E without air suspension!
Old 08-10-2013, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
Did u get warranty on left airmatic shock as it should be within 1 yr warranty?
Old 01-13-2014, 03:12 PM

GLS450
Airmatic fails - struts needs to be replaced

I had a warning on my screen saying that the airmatic has an issue and needs a visit to workshop.
I need to have both front struts replaced, the cost of replacing it is $3500 at MB plesanton, California. Mileage on my R350 is 69k, this is a rip off from the dealer, this looks like a faulty product from the manufacture.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
+1 on design flaws, and that it's just a matter of time before they go.
that said, it appears the replacements are "ok" as i've not heard as many people replace airmatics (same unit) multiple times.
further, hearing that many people are buying after market units(from indep shops) that are both cheaper and (possibly) better than OEM.
my best recollection is that my R500 has had 3 out of 4 airmatics replaced(luckily during CPO)...and knock on wood that the car will continue to run strong.
good luck.
PL
Old 01-13-2014, 06:06 PM

2007 R320 4matic / Airmatic
Originally Posted by varunku
I had a warning on my screen saying that the airmatic has an issue and needs a visit to workshop.
I need to have both front struts replaced, the cost of replacing it is $3500 at MB plesanton, California. Mileage on my R350 is 69k, this is a rip off from the dealer, this looks like a faulty product from the manufacture.
The airspring medium is mostly rubber based, and they should be regarded as a consumable like shocks or tires. The rubber eventually deteriorates and leaks, and this is the same scenario on any vehicle with air suspension (I've had several). It is an additional feature that requires additional maintenance at some point. An expired rubber air bladder is no more "faulty" than a tire that wears out, but unfortunately maintaining the system is quite pricey from the dealer.

The commonly accepted answer to this is purchasing Arnott aftermarket springs, and either installing yourself or having an independent install them.

Last edited by PeteInLongBeach; 01-13-2014 at 06:10 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:20 PM

GLS450
Thanks for your reply PeteInLongBeach.
I should have gone for the after marker version to keep the repair cost lower.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:02 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
MERCEDES-BENZ CL-CLASS
Link to Arnott Aftermarket Air Suspension Products

Link to Arnott Aftermarket Air Suspension Products:
https://www.arnottindustries.com/part_MERCEDES-BENZ_yid18.html

Arnott provides an impressive lineup of aftermarket Mercedes-Benz® air suspension replacement parts for the S, CL, E, CLS, GL, ML, R, SL, and V-class Mercedes-Benz vehicles. Arnott engineering advances include improved seals, extra strong air springs, protective covers and coil spring conversion kits with specially tuned valving for exceptional ride control and comfort. Arnott’s products eliminate the often prohibitively expensive costs of OE Mercedes air suspension repairs, yet retain the comfort and performance Mercedes enthusiasts expect from vehicles equipped with advanced Mercedes suspension and drive systems such as ABC (Active Body Control), AIRMATIC, and 4MATIC.

Arnott Inc®. offers a limited lifetime warranty for North American customers on many Arnott brand automotive air suspension replacement products. Orders for Arnott products outside of the USA and Canada come with a two year warranty. Compressors sold by Arnott come with a two year warranty.

Arnott, Inc. is so certain that you will be 100% satisfied with your product that we offer you a 30-day money back guarantee and a 90-day return policy on unused and uninstalled products.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 S-550
Originally Posted by Tropical
2006 S-350. When, not if, airmatic fails seems to be the fact!
Replaced left shock at 46,307 miles. The warning, car was too low, came on and it was visibly lower, on the left side.
Replaced the right shock at 52,050 miles, heard a hissing noise, air loss going over speed reducer/bumps.
Thought I was in the clear on shocks until 56, 168 miles (22 months later) and now the left shock need to be replaced AGAIN!
The indications are different this time: no warning message, car is not lower; just a rattling sound I hear at low speed less then 20 mph over slightly rough pavement or miniature speed reducers. This rattling sound is very similar to a rattling sound I had on a 2001 E-320 which turned out to be a catalytic converter failure, but replaced at no cost since the converter was under the federal warranty law of 8 years/80 K miles which ever comes first.

Had to pay for both dealer shock replacements and really unhappy about the new left shock failing again in less then 10.000 miles! Maybe the rattling noise is other then a shock, bad washer, metal on metal in another area of front suspension.......I must be dreaming, when locked into only one dealer!
Guess I'll find out early next week?
Would like a newer S or CLS in the future but the airmatics will probably drive back to an E without air suspension!
Update to my above ...... problem was not the shock but a transverse control arm. But 900 miles later the airmatic air compressor failed. Replaced air compressor and then 400 miles later had to replace the airmatic valve block and the air compressor (NC).
Finally three months without a problem! Waiting for airmatic problems in the rear? Seriously considering E class without airmatic shocks. Never had a shock problem with prior three E class..300E, and two E-320.