R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Transmission Costs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 R500
Transmission Costs

My wife has a 2006 R500 which has for a while been having some transmission problems. It would intermittently get stuck in a gear when coming to a stop, could be 2nd gear, could be 4th gear. A simple restart of the car fixed the problem for another couple of weeks.

However, this morning she went out to the car and started it up and it is stuck in first gear and the check engine light came on. As it is Sunday, there are no open shops, I cam trying to self diagnose the problem. I can only think of two things...valve body or a faulty speed sensor. I am trying to find information form those of you who had their valve body replaced out of warranty and was wondering what their total out of pocket was. At least, I will be somewhat prepared for the damage. Thanks!!!
Old 03-14-2011, 10:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 R350
Sounds like a software problem in the program. If you restarted the car and it took care of it, the computor may need to be looked at. Unless you know someone who is a MB Tech and also has the equipment to check, the dealer is the only place I know that can either eliminate or inform you that nothing is wrong with the computor.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:49 PM

2006 R500
Alright, I spoke with a guy at a very large transmission shop who was very familiar with the transmission and he also said it sounded like a computer issue. He said he has worked on two R series transmissions in the last month and both were computer issues. However, he said until he runs a full diagnostic on it, we obviously won't know. It is now at the shop and i should have an answer and some engine codes tonight. Fingers crossed.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:38 PM

2006 R500
OK, just got my answer. It seems as though the culprit is the control module. Now I am waiting to find out how much the damage is going to be. $$$