R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Clicking when turning left or right

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2011 | 07:31 AM

2008 R350, '67 GTO Convert, 2008 3500 RAM, '54 Packard Clipper, '37 Chev Grand Master Deluxe
Clicking when turning left or right

Loud CLICK, CLICK when turning slowly left or right from the front end.
So "Loud", can be felt in gas and brake peddles when it happens.

This has been ongoing for a year now and so far, dealer has replaced steering rack and steering links. Links replaced Friday past but no luck. Still same problem. Warranty has expired but this has been a year.

Dealer scratching their head.

Anyone with same issue???
Old 03-14-2011 | 07:52 AM

2006 R350
Check Airmatic's, you let it go for a year so it can't be that bad
Old 03-14-2011 | 07:54 AM

2008 R350, '67 GTO Convert, 2008 3500 RAM, '54 Packard Clipper, '37 Chev Grand Master Deluxe
Originally Posted by shobbs666
Check Airmatic's, you let it go for a year so it can't be that bad
No Airmatic, and as per previous post; steering rack and links have been replaced over the past year.
Old 03-14-2011 | 08:28 AM

e320 Wgn. 98, 08 R320 CDI, 2017 Chrysler Pacifica
wheel bearings?

have you had wheel bearings checked? ours were replaced because they made a loud "whooshing" type noise. wheel play caused by failed wheel bearings could cause the clicking. but this is just a guess.
Old 03-14-2011 | 10:06 AM

2006 R350
Let this be a lesson to the other readers of this thread and MB owners. Keep taking your car back immediatly after the Dealer has made repairs and you notice the same problem you took it in for still occurs. DO NOT let things you know are bad, or going to go bad go, and neglect getting them fixed while still under warranty!!!! Waiting a year or till the warranty runs out is not a good idea.
Old 03-14-2011 | 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by shobbs666
Let this be a lesson to the other readers of this thread and MB owners. Keep taking your car back immediatly after the Dealer has made repairs and you notice the same problem you took it in for still occurs. DO NOT let things you know are bad, or going to go bad go, and neglect getting them fixed while still under warranty!!!! Waiting a year or till the warranty runs out is not a good idea.
Are you on Crack?

Anyone who would let a dealer off with a previously existing problem that continues to be a problem whether the warranty is still valid or not, is an idiot.

Anyway, if anyone has a useful suggestion to my question, please post.
Old 03-15-2011 | 07:55 AM

2006 R350
East Coast- To answer your rude question. NO I'm not on crack! I did not let this problem go on for a year. You said that the dealer replaced parts and you still heard the problem and did nothing but let the warranty expire. This is what you wrote. "This has been ongoing for a year now and so far, dealer has replaced steering rack and steering links. Links replaced Friday past but no luck. Still same problem. Warranty has expired but this has been a year. Dealer scratching their head". You are the one that let the dealer off the hook. I wouldn't let the dealer scratch their heads and just "say oh well, I guess you tried"
Sorry but this is a lesson to learn from, so it does happen to anyone else. I can understand why you're hositle. I'm just saying nobody should experience such a clicking sound that it vibrates the pedals and let that continue for a year. That's my opinion. Like it or not. I do hope someone has an answer for you as to what it could be, good luck.
Old 03-15-2011 | 08:08 AM

I'd draw a picture so you'd understand but it's not convenient in this media.

The warranty expiring was a footnote. The dealer/MB is responsible to rectify this issue. Through their incompetance of ordering wrong parts twice, misdiagnosis, delays in service, etc etc it has taken 8-10 months to get to this point. The warranty has since expired but it does not matter. The problem was reported before the warranty expired.

THE LESSON here Hobbs, is that as long as the problem is reported before the warranty expires, you are covered. If someone accepts a dealer's position that because the warranty has expired, a previous issue is no longer covered, well, I have some ocean-front property in Arizona to sell.

Hope this helps you understand Hobbs.
Old 03-15-2011 | 08:24 AM

2006 R350
When you explain it in more detail like you just did, it makes more sense. We can only get the correct picture if you take the time, and explain all the details in the first place. You know all the circumstances involved, you have to convey them like you just did in the first place.
Settle Down, Take it easy, East Coast-- I hope you get it solved.