R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Ride height difference

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 05:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB R 350 4 matic
Ride height difference

I am driving a 2005 R 350 with self levelling rear suspension (no full air suspension). Last January my right rear spring, the air bag that is, collapsed. After the MB workshop replaced it, the right rear sat approx 0.75 inch lower than the left. The only solution that the MB workshop offered was to replace the left rear as well, which they did last Friday. Since, the right rear sits even lower than before (1 inch now).

When I picked the car up, the dealer mentioned that the air compressor produced the minimal acceptable pressure. They did not mention that the ride height issue wasn't actually solved....

Does anyone know if the ride height of the rear suspension can be adjusted (and how)? I am sure that if I return it to the workshop now they will replace the air compressor, which I cannot believe is the cause for the difference in ride height.

Thanks!
Old 04-11-2011, 09:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 R350
The Air Compressor even if it is only putting out the minimal allowable PSI under the specifications to still be considered operational is the source of air to both bags, right and left should be receiving the exact matching PSI. How often does the Air Compressor turn on? If it is repeatedly cycling on and off there is a leak somewhere. Both sides should match in the lift height no matter what PSI is being supplied to the bags. . It sounds like a poor installation of one or both bags to me. A new compressor is not going to solve the problem in fact it might make it worse.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB R 350 4 matic
Thanks,

the compressor is busier and or nosier than it used to be before the collapse of the right rear airbag. Now you frequently hear it running: directly after starting and on a bumpy stretch of road.