R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Imagine that..... the transmission.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 12:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 R500 Obs black. Keyless, comfort, trim, lighting, AMG sport, premium and rr seat ent. packages
Imagine that..... the transmission.

Well our 06 R500 seems to have completely lost its transmission. Dealer (Mercedes Benz of South Orlando) telling us its going to be around 5000 to replace it with a remanufactured unit. While they were under there they found the rear end had a leak as well, throw in a couple hundred more.
Dealer did NOT go to bat for us with the factory after we had it in for transmission problems under warranty prior to this and want us to pay full price for the repairs. Is what it is I guess.

We have 80000 miles on it, its been out of warranty for over a year. Now we are deciding if we should fix it or trade it in. My wife is so mad at them we are more then likely not even going to get another MB, even from a different dealer. Worried that now this has happened things are going to start to go wrong all over it.

I see there is a class action suit for transmission issues. Good times.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:46 AM

ARRR
So if you decide to not fix it, what's going to happen to the vehicle? Sell it to them for cheap?

Whatever you decide to do, good luck.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:05 AM

2006 R500 Obs black. Keyless, comfort, trim, lighting, AMG sport, premium and rr seat ent. packages
Originally Posted by Yang1815
So if you decide to not fix it, what's going to happen to the vehicle? Sell it to them for cheap?

Whatever you decide to do, good luck.
The dealer already offered us a whopping 10 grand for it to trade it in. While some people might think that is acceptable for it needing a transmission, if it did have one the trade in would be around 20 grand for the way ours is equipped and its condition. Dealer is just kicking us when we are down knowing we do not want to sink that money into it.
I am sure there are good dealerships out there as I have had them in the past in other places I have lived, but this is not one of them.

Anyhow, we are probably going to take it to an independent shop to get it fixed as we just got a quote for almost 20% less then the dealership.

We have a few options on the table, one being trade it in as is trading it as it to a different place. None of them is an ideal situation. All I do know is that none of them will involve MB of South Orlando.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:36 AM

2009 r class bluetec, 90 Acura Integra B16, 91 Mit. Galant VR4, 03 ES300, 89 Maxima, 98 Beetle TDI
I say get a second opinion on that trans; the unit might only need the valve body replaced or just needs to be cleaned out. I had a transmission that was not up shifting in an older model 87 Mercedes 300D. Turned out to be two tiny little filters in the valve body that were plugged up with normal clutch wear material.

I know that there is no comparison between our new 7 speeds and old 4 speeds, however; they are still hydraulic devices. They have clutch packs, bands, and hydraulic actuators that are all designed to be replaced.

Check out local transmission shops in your area. The price will be much lower. 5000 for a simple pull of a trans and replace with rebuilt unit seems really high.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
AKAIK, MB service has a general rule (maybe a formal rule?) to not repair/rebuild major parts. They seem to always replace them with factory refurbs.
Your indy shop will probably be the best option. Then private sale or trade-in if you are not comfortable keeping the car.