R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

3rd worst Tire

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 08:35 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2013 S350, 2021 GLS450
3rd worst Tire

Was doing some research to figure out if I should get snow tires for my 2011 R350 BlueTec. I looked up the ratings for the Bridgestone Dueler H/L 400 runflats that came on my car, to see if they were decent in the snow and found that they are ranked 3rd worst tire in their category, on TireRack.com. 3rd worst! out of 57 tires. That's a huge accomplishment. How did Mercedes spec such a bad tire?
Old 10-16-2011, 01:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2007 R500
Originally Posted by SnowCub
Was doing some research to figure out if I should get snow tires for my 2011 R350 BlueTec. I looked up the ratings for the Bridgestone Dueler H/L 400 runflats that came on my car, to see if they were decent in the snow and found that they are ranked 3rd worst tire in their category, on TireRack.com. 3rd worst! out of 57 tires. That's a huge accomplishment. How did Mercedes spec such a bad tire?
Maybe the choice was made by an engineer who had never lived outside Alabama!
Old 10-16-2011, 02:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 GL450, '06 R500 traded, '08 ML350 sold
Originally Posted by SnowCub
Assuming you have runflats in your Bluetec, does your tire rate 3rd worst among 57 other run flat tires, or overall (including standard tires and runflats? If it is overall the tire spectrum then this is quite understandable as runflats sacrifice a lot to give you the "run flat" capability. Most people if not all hate the runflats. In that case, the question becomes why did MB decide on run flats! And the answer is simply because they had no room for a spare. I wonder of they will be doing away with them in the new W166 diesel versions.

Last edited by aggst1; 10-16-2011 at 02:40 PM.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:09 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2013 S350, 2021 GLS450
Originally Posted by aggst1
Assuming you have runflats in your Bluetec, does your tire rate 3rd worst among 57 other run flat tires, or overall (including standard tires and runflats? If it is overall the tire spectrum then this is quite understandable as runflats sacrifice a lot to give you the "run flat" capability. Most people if not all hate the runflats. In that case, the question becomes why did MB decide on run flats! And the answer is simply because they had no room for a spare. I wonder of they will be doing away with them in the new W166 diesel versions.
Good point, yes they are the runflats and looking over the choices in size for all seasons there are only 2 other choices for runflats, the Continental 4x4 Contact SSR and Michelin Latitude Tour HP ZP. Hmmm so I guess that's not horrible. However, Tire Rack doesn't carry the Nokians and I know that they are available with the WR G2 in Runflats for the correct size. Wonder if I shouldn't have just gone straight to the Nokians all-weather tires instead of buying the Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow RFT snow tires.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 R350 Bluetec, 2004 BMW 330xi Msport
Yes, SnowCub OEM tire selection is an interesting and confounding phenomenon….

It's worth considering what the manufacturer intends when they "approve" or recommend an OEM or Winter-Package setup. (M-B, Audi, BMW etc are all eager to do this).

I believe that these approvals are largely driven by the load and speed rating.....for smaller, sportier cars, the speed rating is probably most important, THEN the manufacturer has to find a match for their speed rating spec and available tire sizes. As the tires getter lower in profile, the load rating can be important to protect those expensive alloys from impact damage. They also have to source a tire that can be manufactured in sufficient volume and supplied to their dealer network. For land-yachts like our R-Class rides, the load AND speed ratings are maybe equally critical. When you complicate the selection with the fact that a Bluetec has no room for a spare, M-B has narrowed the field of available choices to run-flats, or other solutions...(see below for the M-B Canada strategy)

Speed ratings are not just about max driving speeds, but also about the ability of the tire to perform at high temperatures and dissipate heat. Tire compound performance will certainly change with temperature. Also, alloy wheels, ABS brake components, air suspension etc. may all have their own tolerances and sensitivities to heat build-up within the wheel well.

In Germany, the manufacturers are spec'ing their vehicles to handle Autobahn conditions in a moderate, four-season climate. So no wonder they are a little picky about their tire approvals. Here in North America, I believe that we can be a little more open to alternatives that better fit specific regional and performance needs.

Interestingly, my 2011 R350 Bluetec Canadian version was equipped with OEM conventional (not runflat) 20" Conti 4x4 Contact all seasons while my trunk tool kit included a can of "tirefit" (German for "glue") and a little compressor. (Thankfully, the Canadian models do not have TPMS. Under-inflation is monitored instead through the ABS system) Frankly, unless I get a flat in my own garage, I'm not going to get involved -- that's what MB Roadside Assistance or my Autoclub is for.

For my winter set, I appreciate the criteria behind the M-B approved winter packages, but have spec'd my own winter solution based on my local driving needs. So instead of the Pirelli Scorpion Snow and Ice 109 H XL 18", I have selected a Goodyear UltraGrip Ice WRT 109 S XL in 18". While there is no “MO” embossed on my winters and my speed rating is a little lower than the recommended, I still sleep ok at night.