R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Run Flats & DEF

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 R350 BlueTec
Run Flats & DEF

I had an 08 R320 & was hesitant on getting a new diesel because of run flats & diesel exhaust fluid.

There were many complaints about run flats being loud, not lasting long enough, and the DEF being a scam.

I have 20,000 miles on my 2011 diesel on the run flats are wearing great, almost the same as my regular tires, and the DEF issue is very minimal.

If you're on the edge of upgrading - the new ones are very much better than the old CDI's. The mileage and acceleration are better and the car is nicer I think.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:26 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2011 R350 BT
In Canada, the R Bluetec doesn't come with runflats - you get a can of tire sealant and an electric pump. Not crazy about that, but it's how they're sold here.

For the Adblue, my last service appt (a false CEL warning still not fixed) they filled the Adblue tank (which had to be drained but was almost empty anyway) with 25 litres for Cdn $64. I was expecting much worse. Don't know if it was a mistake, or to make up because of the problem, but I just paid it, no questions asked. It's near it's 30K km B service - so they'll just have to top it up then (and hopefully fix the CEL problem.) The tank should last 15k km easily, which is the regular service interval. If MB is charging reasonable rates to re-fill then I'll just get it done as part of the regular service.

I'm getting great highway mileage. Just did the Toronto-Montreal trip with the family over the weekend and averaged 7.9 l/100 km over 1000 km. Avg speed was about 110 km/hour (including the city driving). It's an outstanding highway car, love driving it.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
The thing about runflats is that they can be OK if you live (and stay) in urban areas.

Where I live I can easily find myself 200 miles from a dealer that stocks, let alone has the technology to change runflats.

Remember, all "runflat" means is that the tire won't come off the wheel if you drive on it. It does NOT mean the tire is not ruined by doing this--it is. If you drive on it the fix is NOT a patch, it's a new tire.

"Driving" on one is limited to 50 miles at 50 mph, something of no use to me if my required distance is 200 miles. And, if at my 200-miles-away location there is a dealer that can work with runflats, it's still a motel room until FedEx brings a new tire. These ultra-expensive tires are NOT stocked in small towns and Mercedes doesn't fit same sizes as Ford pickups. I can likely go 200 miles on my donut spare.

Last edited by lkchris; 11-23-2011 at 12:29 PM.