R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Check engine light and random loss of power

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wife has an R350
Check engine light and random loss of power

My wife's 2006 R350 with 54K on it has been acting up the last few weeks with random check engine lights and not always wanting to accelerate when told to do so.

Dropped it off last night at the dealer and the call today was to tell me it needs a new balance shaft and speed sensor.

Balance shaft - aprox $5,800
Speed sensor - aprox $1,200

We've owned this car since 07 and it only had 12,000 miles on it and have done all the required services at the same dealer. It's been a pretty great car until now but there is no way any car that has been properly maintained should need 8k in repairs at only 50k miles.

I have an extended warranty but the dealer said they have to have an independent mechanic come out and take a look to decide if they are going to cover it.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:56 PM

2002 E320 4matic Wagon
Be glad you have the extended warranty; at least you have a shot at coverage. Balance shaft issue is a problem with certain MB 350 series engines. Search the forum for opportunities to learn/commiserate.

I hear you that you wouldn't think you'd be having expensive issues with a well maintained 5yo/50k mile MB, but this ain't your father's 1980s MB.

Good luck.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:15 AM

Wife has an R350
Good news is that warranty is covering the repair. Bad news is it won't be ready till the end of this week. 3 weeks to get this done is crazy. Mercedes is telling me it's a 40+ hour repair and we lost a week with the warranty company and a few days for diag and waiting on parts.

Any one know the book time for the balance shaft and speed sensor repairs?
Old 02-03-2012, 01:13 PM

Wife has an R350
Got the R back yesterday and the drive home was fine. Wife called on her way to work this am and said that she felt a vibration when she let off the gas to slow down for a red light (was not using the brakes) I was afraid that no matter how good the repair once an engine and tranny are taken apart they will never be the same. Ugh.